Emmanuel Mooser - Mooser's Train (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
paperz

Emmanuel Mooser - Mooser's Train (CP)

Post by paperz »

I am back asking help for a very complex model.....Emmanuel Mooser's train. Here's a link to one made with just a dollar by Mike Jittlov....I have managed to collapse the CP from 'Origami Design Secrets' upto the engine...actually I don't want to make any cuts as suggested in the original instructions but would like to know how the engine fold is made with no cuts in the dollar model. This train is haunting me.....I've got to fold this one....so any help would really be a boon
http://www.wizworld.com/moneygami/money ... _train.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by paperz on August 8th, 2006, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

I've folded a couple of these. The engine is the hardest part to make -- a fair bit harder than the cars.

The one at your link folded from a dollar bill does not quite match the CP in Origami Design Secrets.

If you look at the picture of the one in Lang's book, you can see that the back of the engine is just a "box" and does not have a diagonal fold coming down from the top of it. So for starters, make sure you are trying to make the CP Lang has printed look like his picture, not the one on the web.

One thing that might help -- have you got the wheels to work on the cars? If so, it might help to get the "wheel flaps" lined up at the base of the engine. This forces the top to collapse a bit.

General plan of attack on the engine that has worked for me:

1) Precrease the entire thing
2) Fold the box at the back.
3) Fold the parts that become the smokestack and the cowcatcher at the front.
4) The part that is left in between becomes the "barrel" -- the long part of the engine. Crease this, but not firmly.
5) Line up the wheel flaps on the bottom of the engine. This will force the "barrel" up against the sections to the front & back of it. Use the precreases to make this fit together properly.
6) Now fine-tune and shape everything to look like the picture.

Also, you don't HAVE to cut in order to make the smokestack look decent. You can "dent" the front of the engine a bit with a gentle reverse fold, and insert the smokestack.
paperz

Post by paperz »

Thanks 4sigma for your prompt reply. I will work on these steps rightaway!
paperz

Post by paperz »

I am unable to lock the wheels into place....I mean for the cars. The engine however is coming into shape as the precreasing itself is lending it the barrel shape. Is there a photo of the train upside down you could post so that I can see how the wheels are done?
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

Since the CP isn't public domain as far as I can tell, I'm not sure how much of a detailed folding sequence is appropriate to post. Help sent by PM.
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

can you post some pics of collapsing the back I am stuck because it says mountain fold the edges the long way but in the cp those line are light which means valley folds?

Thanks
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

I believe the CPs in Lang's book are given as though you are looking at the underside of the paper. So a colored line is a valley fold if you are looking from the bottom, but it is a mountain fold if you are looking from the top.

For example, look at Lang's CP's and folds on page 238. The colored lines are "valley folds" on the light side of the paper, but they are moutain folds on the dark side.
paperz

Kind attn: 4Sigma - Mooser's train help!

Post by paperz »

4sigma: Please chk PM
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Here's my first attempt at this CP from Japanese foil.

The engine didn't turn out that nicely but the rest looks nice :-)

About locking the wheels under the cars: When I folded the model the wheels wouldn't stay there until I folded the piece between the cars the way it was shown on the picture in Origami Design Secrets like this:
After doing this the wheels were in a perfect position. Hope that helps.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

Here is my try:

4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

Here is an "all sides" view of my Mooser's Train:

[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1953/trains2te5.jpg[/img]

I agree that the engine is hard to make look good. Tissue foil helps a lot. :D

I'm not fond of this engine design -- particularly the part where the barrel of the engine joins the block at the back. Note that it's rare to see photos showing the front of the train. I found it challenging to make tissue foil stay in shape there properly -- It would be very difficult with non-foil paper. Mike Jittlov's design that he used on his dollar bill is more pleasing, in my opinion.

More photos of Mooser trains I've folded are now posted in my gallery thread.

I'll try to take some pictures that help explain how to fold the engine.
Tissue foil -- the best thing since sliced bread.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

OK, here's a series of photos showing how to fold the engine. I changed my mind from earlier and now think it's easiest to start at the frront.

My photoshop skills are very limited, and the photo series ended up pretty large-sized, so I'm only putting up the thumbnail. Click to enlarge:

Steps as follows:

0) (not shown) Precrease everything. Mountain fold the edges under.
1) Start collapsing the two L-shaped regions at the front of the engine.
2) The collapse almost complete
3) Pleat the edges inwarrd at the bottom of the engine -- photo of pleat in progress
4) Pleat completed
5) Fold the back wall of the engine the same way you fold the boxcars.
6) Form the rear of the engine. This is the trickiest part to make happen cleanly. You have to unfold the pleats at the bottom a bit.
7) Rear of engine nearly completed.
8 ) Rear of engine completed, and pleats at the bottom reformed.
9) Now create the wheel flaps. Incorporate reverse-folds along existing creases in three places along the bottom.
10) Swing the wheel flaps downward.
11) Pull out a layer of paper on the inside of each wheel flap so that the flaps are square.
12a) Form the wheels. Shape the catcher on the front. (It becomes slightly longer and the engine becomes slightly less tall.) Pinch the smokestack and depress it slightly into the front of the engine.
12b) Completed engine.
paperz

Post by paperz »

Thanks a million 4sigma!!! It is very generous of you to post pics as requested. I now know exactly what was wrongly folded in my model and the reason I could not get the smoke stack.

Your dollar train model is superb. I can help you with the bogie connection part. Actually I was folding it like Mike Jittlov's earlier and then did it as in Mr. Lang's published CP as per your pic instructions. Now I will send pics to show you how...in my next post though. Till then,....

Warm regards,
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

Glad you found it helpful. The train is a cool design. Hope lots of people have fun folding it.

Looking forward to your photos.
paperz

Post by paperz »

4sigma: This is especially for you. The photos or paper are not as good as yours but hope you understand the fold. Click on the notes part (squares on the snap) to access explanation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53779909@N00/211426884/

Thanks,