Ryujin 3.5 or Zoanoid dragon?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Augustus Agamemnon

Ryujin 3.5 or Zoanoid dragon?

Post by Augustus Agamemnon »

Does anyone have instructions for cool dragons like Ryujin 3.5? If not, at least a cp of it?

p.s.: I would really like to know how to fold the Zoanoid dragon by Shuki Kato(instructions, not the cp).
Last edited by Augustus Agamemnon on December 30th, 2015, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baltorigamist

Re: Ryujin 3.5 or Zoanoid dragon?

Post by Baltorigamist »

The CP for Ryuzin 3.5 is in the book World Of Super Complex Origami. The CPs for other versions (namely 2.1 and 1.0) are on Kamiya's website.

I'm pretty sure there are no instructions other than a CP for the Zoanoid Dragon. It's way too complex to diagram.
The only supercomplex dragons I know of that have diagrams are the Ancient Dragon (diagrams in Works Of Satoshi Kamiya 1) and Shuki Kato's Western Dragon--not sure if I got the name right, since he has two complex dragons diagrammed.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

If you want to fold complex models like those you will have to learn to fold from cp's. There is really no other way.
kex_er

Post by kex_er »

If your ale looking for diagram of complex dragon I found something http://dev.origami.art.pl/diagramy/113_diagram.PDF
My flickr

Sorry for my bad english
Augustus Agamemnon

Did anyone solve the cp for the Zoanoid dragon? I saw it and it looks super complex. I'll begin it tomorrow but if anyone did succeed in solving it, which I doubt it, please tell me some hints or show me pictures of some stages during the foldings.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

The Zoanoid CP is pretty straightforward from the looks of it--just insanely complex.
If you need help, you can contact Shuki via this forum.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bobzomgville

Post by bobzomgville »

Which zoanoid dragon are you doing? There are several versions and two published cps (I think) I could probably give you a more specific list of people if you answer this question.

That said, I think that your best bet for help is just outright asking Shuki. He's the only person who's done all of the versions, and since he designed it, most probably understands every part of it. However, there are several people both on this forum, and on flickr that have made it. For example, mummykicks, who posted above, has done one version 2. There are a few more and you can track them down just by searching Zoanoid Dragon in your search engine.
Augustus Agamemnon

I would like to do the 2.0 version, but does anyone know Shuki Kato's username in this forum? Thanks in advance!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

He goes by origami-artist-galen.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Augustus Agamemnon

I sent a message to origami-artist-galen. I've got another question: does anyone know any other dragons that aren't as complex as Ryujin 3.5 or the Zoanoid dragon but are still difficult to fold ? If there is one, please send me a cp of it.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

My old dragon design isn't supercomplex, but the CP is pretty involved. (Plus it has two rows of color-changed spikes down the back.)
If you want, I can upload the CP somewhere and send you the link.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Augustus Agamemnon

Yes, I would like you to send me it.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2q351ki.jpg

The reference points are a little weird.
-Fold the right edge down to the main diagonal and pinch the top edge.
-Fold the pinch into the center of the paper and pinch on the upper right main diagonal.
Fold the top edge downward through the second pinch, and you should be able to find the rest of the creases from there.

Also, the color-changed spikes on the shoulders and hips are a little tricky to fold out. You have to swivel the raw edges upward through several layers. (Keep in mind I designed this back in 2011.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

Augustus Agamemnon wrote:I would like to do the 2.0 version, but does anyone know Shuki Kato's username in this forum? Thanks in advance!
I folded it twice. One was a test fold. I used a 34" square and I wouldn't want to use anything smaller than that. Test fold the head, and the leg/arm scales first, and even then they are a pain to collapse. Shuki has posted the collapsed base on flickr. The way I collapsed it worked, but folding to the base is better.
The chest area I never got right, and it wants to pull the scales apart when trying to collapse that area, so things fold and unfold a lot.

If I ever fold it again I would fold the scales and tape them on the inside to keep them from pulling apart, or maybe MC them. It would lead to a much cleaner result I think.
I actually printed the cp on the sheet for the first fold (I have access to wide format printer, but I think you could get it done at kinko's for a few bucks).

The second one I traced the cp with an embossing tool to pre-pre-crease it. It is MUCH quicker to do it that way then to fold a grid and spend all kinds of time counting squares and forgetting where you are.
I think I counted 6,000 folds or something insane like that.

It takes a really, really, long time to fold.