Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
GrossMichael

Re: Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle

Post by GrossMichael »

It's kraft paper. I bought in a local store near my house. The paper is ~60 gsm, but it can't be shaped easily without MC. I folded it just to show those steps and didn't actually finish it. Here are the photos of my attempts.
From a 60 cm square of kraft:

From a 30 cm square of Terry tf:

From a 60 cm square of Terry tf:
Jaidev

Post by Jaidev »

Thanks a lot i was able to do the :)
hanzzzhanzzz

Post by hanzzzhanzzz »

Can some kind soul please explain steps 107 and 109? What is "Pull-Out some paper from inside?" I interpreted 107 as pulling out and flattening what was covered up in step 105. Don't know if this is correct.

In 109, there is no way anything could be pulled out in my model unlike 107.
Also what is going on in 113? My work seems to have a split down the middle line of symmetry with 6 flaps on each side, so they are not joined together left and right and cant be pulled down in one piece as shown in 113.

Is this whole process ending in 116 symmetrical?
origamiinawe

Post by origamiinawe »

@grossmichael, beautiful work. With OGAMI paper that you can buy at Paper Circle, the eagle would look amazing after you MC'ed it a little. Their paper is 23 gsm.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

hanzzzhanzzz wrote:Can some kind soul please explain steps 107 and 109? What is "Pull-Out some paper from inside?" I interpreted 107 as pulling out and flattening what was covered up in step 105. Don't know if this is correct.

In 109, there is no way anything could be pulled out in my model unlike 107.
you are correct. you are essentially spreading the flap in 105 symmetrically. the reason why they are different is because 107 is an open unsink, while 109 is a closed unsink. with 107, the paper can be easily opened to perform the unsink. it is also possible with 109, but it can very difficult to keep which layer is which straight. therefore you are better off doing the straight up unsink. grab the inner layer as close to the left point of the triangle as possible and tug it gently until it "inverts." if you are using some kind of foil-backed paper, closed unsinks can be very hard to do neatly. if it's not super neat, don't fret, much of this will be hidden anyway.
With OGAMI paper that you can buy at Paper Circle, the eagle would look amazing after you MC'ed it a little.
actually, i do not think ogami is a good paper for this model. the reason why is because, on average, it is tough to get squares larger than 50 cm. the model is very doable at 50 cm, but you can more easily do the finishing touches on the talons and tail to satisfaction with a larger square (60 cm or more). here is one i have done using hygloss foil backed paper.

CurlyCrescnt86

Re:

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

Sara wrote:And I succeeded after all:

It's not perfect yet, but for a first fold I'm happy with it.

Nice! Could I have some tips for the precreasing portion?
Origami is truly elegant.

Email me at hgss649@gmail.com
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

re: precreasing the eagle.

first off, though the book states that 50 cm is a good size, this is a minimum. you will actually have an easier time with a larger sheet. hygloss paper backed foil, which comes in 26" rolls, is actually a very economical choice. i have posted extensively about it elsewhere on the forum. from what i understand, tracing paper also comes in 24" rolls. you can try wrapping paper, but that is a whole other topic altogether. unless one is experienced with expensive papers like ogami, they should actively be avoided. the creases can be very hard to see, and "soft" as well.

for some of the harder references (like step 14), it is helpful to use a straight-edge to align the points. if necessary, mark the points with a pencil. it will not show up on the final model anyway.

because it can be difficult to get a perfect square with rolls 50 cm or more, it helps to do some of the precreasing out of order. for instance, in step 14, do only one of the precreases. then precrease step 15, using the diagonal to guide you. now you will have three references to do the other half of 14 (if you do it the diagrammed way, making it come out symmetrical is harder).

use the 10:30 to 5:30 diagonal in step 18 to help you make the folds perpendicular.

the other reason to use as large a square as possible is, the larger you use, the less perfect your precreasing has to be.
Life is Origami

Post by Life is Origami »

Please help. I am on step 78 and stuck. I really don't know what to do.

Update: I got it now. The diagrams are really confusing and the lack of text instructions doesn't help.
We all have gone very far from folding the crane.
origami99

Steps 43-44

Post by origami99 »

There are the correct steps 43-44 =) I edited it with photoshop.
fariady

Post by fariady »

Hello,

I'm in trouble with step 147, I can't not understand the references to fold the wing correctly shown in step 148.

Please someone could help me with directions?

thank you!!
dakshmeet

Post by dakshmeet »

hey everybody,
i was about to start making the eagle by Nguyen Hung Cuong and wanted to know what the thickness of the paper i shoudd use should be.I've got quite a few tant papers lying around at home but i think that would be much too thick for the model.i would appreciate any suggestions on the paper i should use.
-Dakshmeet.
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Tant will probably be to thick for the eagle unless it's a very big square. Probably something more along the lines of tissue foil or thin Kraft would be better. If the paper you are using is too thick, most of the eagle will probably still turn out fine, but the legs will get very thick.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

fariady wrote:Hello,

I'm in trouble with step 147, I can't not understand the references to fold the wing correctly shown in step 148.

Please someone could help me with directions?

thank you!!
Essentially what you're doing is Elias-stretching the upper edge and forming a vertical pleat down the wing. The reference point is the corner of the upside-down triangular flap, and one crease should run about 22.5deg off of straight down from there. Coax the rest of the paper accordingly.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Guys im stuck at step 113, for some reason there is only one flap at the top instead of 2. Does any have photo diagrams from steps 105 to 113?
Harisson Igor

Re:

Post by Harisson Igor »

PauliusOrigami wrote:Today i finished my Eagle : )
First try.
Paulius , what was the size of the paper you used to make that Origami Eagle , by NGuyen Hung Cuong ? And ... what paper did you used ?