Unsung designers and hurt feelings but no results!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
BillieFingers

Unsung designers and hurt feelings but no results!

Post by BillieFingers »

My search for permission to publish from Origami Authors is going incredibly badly. Today I received such an upsetting email from Valerie Vann's once press agent stating that she was so deeply hurt by her work being use without permission commercialy that she has ask that she no longer be contacted by anyone. So the Magic Cube Rose go unnoticed and unincluded.

This both upsets me and frustrates me for how can credit be given where credit is due, and even payment is due when it is impossible to reach Origami Authors? Roman Diaz has also failed to reply to me which is a shame because I think his exceptional work should be drawn attention to and it may reach a wider audience if it were included, in particular I want to include his Puppy and Rooster models.

Kiyo Yoshizawa I totally understand, she is an elderly woman and speaks no English so why would she have an email. So I am hoping a Japanese friend can send her a short request by post and be so kind as to let us celebrate her late husband's Rose in the publication.

My search is going too slowly for how fast the publisher needs results. I'm looking for simple yet effective designs beyond the traditional that would appeal to adults that haven't tried origami before. If anyone who is an great origami designer is reading this and would like me to look over their designs to see if there's anything I can put to the publisher please pop your website and email down. I don't know what the publisher is willing to pay. We are mainly sticking to traditional designs in the public domain but there's room for 2-3 from named Authors.....if I can actually get intouch with any.
Baltorigamist

Re: Unsung designers and hurt feelings but no results!

Post by Baltorigamist »

Usually, when a model is included in a compilation book, the author of the book compensates the designers for the time and effort put into making diagrams (not to mention designing the models). I'm not trying to imply that you're not willing to do so, but it seems like Valerie has been cheated several times before (by others making money off of her work). So it's easy to see why she wouldn't want that to happen again.

Also, Roman Diaz may be busy at the moment. Very few origamists actually have the art as a full-time job, and many have full-time jobs in addition to their origami work. While Roman is a great designer, he simply may not have the time to respond to every email he receives. (There's also the first thing I mentioned).

I might be willing to submit a model or two, though I've never been published before. The only thing is that the diagrams for most of my designs are hand-drawn--if they even exist.
Message me your email, along with some kind of proof that this is legitimate, and we can discuss whether I could submit a model.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
BillieFingers

Post by BillieFingers »

I would like anyone involved to be paid for their involvement. I am not the publisher however so I need the Author to say they would like to be involved first before showing the Publisher their work which they will then fall in love with and then they will talk directly with the Author to work out fee's and conditions.

Its a shame because all my favorite makes are Authored works and I can't get intouch with any of the Authors. What kind of proof do people need? I can forward you the Publisher's website privately and my brief, or emails between myself and the publisher.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

roman is very busy publishing stuff on his own. besides working with nicolas terry, he is also putting books out stateside. last year it was cats and dogs in chess origami. he has a cat origami book coming up this spring.

i would try talking to sara adams and seeing how she does it. she seems to have fair success getting permission to do video tutorials.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

I had not seen this before. In case it's not too late you can find pictures of some of my models here: http://neorigami.com/neo/index.php/en/o ... 62-gerardo
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom