Wet-Shaping

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Wet-Shaping

Post by Baltorigamist »

Does anyone have some tips on it or know of a guide on how to do it properly? I searched this forum and couldn't find anything recent.

I'm gonna fold a new Scutigera model from ~60cm single hanji, and so I'm pretty sure it will need to be wet-shaped. I'd like to be able to do it somewhat quickly, but obviously I don't want the multitudes of legs to stick together--or to anything else.
Any advice will be appreciated.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Froy

Re: Wet-Shaping

Post by Froy »

The thing about wet shaping is that all papers behave different. I used a mix of water and white glue to shape tissue paper, to some point it works great but if you put too much water the paper may rip. Then if I use the same mix for heavier papers it turns to be completely useless.

It is all about trial and error. My suggestion is, if you don't want to spoil a whole sheet of paper, us some left overs of the same paper you are using and test how much humidity you can put in the paper before it becomes a mess.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

If we're talking about wetfolding for complex models, I apply small amounts of water in desired locations using a fine tip paintbrush. Then, I use strings to keep the desired pose and let dry for at least an hour. Never had any problems so far. Mind you, I use tissue foil from Origami-shop so I can't say for sure if it will work for your paper.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks, guys.
I decided to try wet-shaping with MC recently on a moderately complex model, and I think the results were somewhat mixed. Some layers stuck together just fine, but the thicker parts still want to splay apart. What could I have been doing wrong? (For the record, I was using the hanji from Origami-Shop--two sheets MCd together.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Edg

Post by Edg »

I've found using water, instead of mc, is a bit more enjoyable as it dries way quicker. You can dry it with the heat from your fingers, so it's more like normal wet folding. I'll use mc if the paper isn't crisp enough but I managed to shape the deer on my flickr with just water (its from 25gsm mulberry paper from origami shop, sized with mc prior to folding, the deer has got wire glued into the legs to make it stand)
I've found pva based glue is much better for holding layers together but it tends to leave traces on the model unless you're very carefull.