Good diagrams to keep on you at all times?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Wuggums47

Good diagrams to keep on you at all times?

Post by Wuggums47 »

I think it would be nice to have some folded up sheets of diagrams in my pocket so I can fold things everywhere I am. But I'm not sure which ones to take. I think they would have to be able to be folded from scrap paper or dollar bills. I already know one of the diagrams to take with me will be a michael lafosse butterfly.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Good diagrams to keep on you at all times?

Post by roodborst »

A smartphone with a pdf reader should do the trick...
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

I memorize models usually from my first fold and I find myself folding them often which further solidifies them in my memory. Usually 100 step models take two successive folds to memorize, though.

Models I find fun to fold and easy to memorize are any Montroll or Maekawa models. They are visually appealing, easily identifiable by the public, and the sequences extremely fun.

Some models worth memorizing:
Kawasaki rose
Maekawa's devil
Montroll's frog (with or without toes, they are practically the same model)
Satoshi's Splash!
Fishgoth's rabbit (http://www.fishgoth.com/origami/diagrams/rabbit.pdf)
Sergey Yartsev's tortoise (http://mirorigami.narod.ru/serg/diagrams/Tortoise.pdf)
Roman Diaz's panda

Most of these models can be folded with 15cm kami or printer/lined paper easily.

What is great about the memorization process is that you will find that when you forget steps, you will tend towards improvisation. You will also find that after not using diagrams for a model for several years and then returning to them, you may find you have put an unusual twist on the folding process of the model.
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

Thanks for the help Razz. A few of those seem a bit tougher than I was thinking, but the kawasaki rose in particular would be a good one. Also roodborst, If I could afford something like that I'd probably buy one, but for now I'm just going to keep using my flip phone.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
alkagupta0408

Post by alkagupta0408 »

You can also do with Origami videos, if u have a smartphone with internet you can watch youtube origami videos anywhere to fold your favorite origami models.
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

I'm not printing out anything anymore, just using pdf's because I accidentally ran my mom's printer out of ink xD
Origami is truly elegant.

Email me at hgss649@gmail.com
origami deadspace

Post by origami deadspace »

If you mean memorizing them in your head? then try Hojyo takashi's skull out of a waterbomb.
I got that one stuck in my head and its been years since I memorized it
nornberg

Post by nornberg »

My suggestion (I did this) is to learn Montroll's dog base. It's a really, really beautiful sequence (IMO), very fun to fold and what's important in this case: after you understand how the animals are shaped, you can memorize the base only and improvise the shaping afterwards. You can learn a lot this way, folding the base and trying to make a different animal. Or messing with the base itself (the proportions).

Another suggestion: I usually have 1 or 2 squares of paper in my pocket, just in case... I keep them folded as a waterbomb base folded in half (makes a small triangle). This way, in my experience, it occupies less space, becomes stronger (don't crumple so easily) and the creases are used in so many models that it's not an issue to have them.

BTW, I'm also a PDF fan.
Luiz Alessandro Nörnberg
Brasil
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

=D> Me personally memorize the crane, humming bird, (fish base) elephant, peacock, Japanese brocade ball , dollar bill elephant, butterfly ,shirt, pig. I love to use wrappers or any paper to prevent myself & others from littering like tootsie roll sucker wrappers. :roll: #-o Trying to memorize Learn everyday!
wonko

Post by wonko »

I memorised Jack Skillman's "Jackstone" when I was 11 - that was 45 years ago and I can still fold it entirely from memory - lovely thing it is. I also memorised the base for Joisel's dwarf because ... well ... Joisel
I fold therefore I am.
http://www.wonko.info/365origami/
Red

Post by Red »

Dave Brill's Dolphin is a fantastically tight and easy-to-remember model that's handy to fold with printer paper around you.

Apologies if this breaks any rules.