Using MC for shaping

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Krikke

Using MC for shaping

Post by Krikke »

Hi all,

I've been reading lots of information here on the forum on how to use MC to resize papers before folding. However I was wondering how to properly use MC for shaping. How do you guys shape your models with MC? Do you use a small brush, or just your fingers to apply MC? Do you use clips to hold everything in place while drying? How much MC to use and stuff like that?

For example to thin legs, how does one work then? Do you apply MC, then shape the leg? Or do you first narrow the leg, hold the shape with clips or something, and then apply MC? I've been using MC for a while for resizing, but I'm willing to experiment with MC for shaping, however I don't know where to start. Does anybody know about some photo tutorial perhaps regarding thinning of legs? Or some other useful resource? Thanks in advance!
topsu

Re: Using MC for shaping

Post by topsu »

I always use my fingers. It's sort of yucky but it's something you get used to :P
I like to kind of shape the part I want to MC as far as I can without it. Then I just carefully rub the MC on the paper and get it to the shape I want. I usually don't mess with paperclips or rubber bands, everything goes pretty well with a blow-dryer and holding the paper with my hands. MC finishing requires some patience and practice but it's worth it!

EDIT: I also often keep adding more coats of MC to parts that are unwilling to look like I want them to look like. Sometimes I even add a coat of MC, let it dry, and after that begin to shape the part.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I also use my fingers, but once I have a part in place, I clip it then set it aside to dry.
Usually I don't use MC shaping for legs though, Ive never had a problem thinning or positioning them without it. I mostly use it when shaping box-pleated or hex-pleated models to get things like the head and torso into position and to manage all the extra layers.
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

where do you buy mc if you live in the uk, i've tried online and at craft stores,but i cant find it, can u use the type you get at pharmacies? please help.
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

I use a couple of different sized brushes, a small one to get in-between layers, and a larger one (maybe .5" wide) for thicker models. I also frequently use a hair dryer if it is something that I can't clip in place and let dry. Just hold it in place and hit it with hot air until dry enough to hold it's shape.
topsu

Post by topsu »

loganorigami wrote:where do you buy mc if you live in the uk, i've tried online and at craft stores,but i cant find it, can u use the type you get at pharmacies? please help.
To be honest, I just go with plain wallpaper paste. It's the same stuff with a bit glue added (call me a cheater :P )
gamus

Post by gamus »

To be honest, I just go with plain wallpaper paste. It's the same stuff with a bit glue added (call me a cheater :P )
What glue do u add? Pvc? And how much? :)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

^This topic is a few years old, and Topsu hasn't been active here since last year. So I don't think you're likely to get a response from them.

If you're asking out of legitimate curiosity, you're probably best off just using regular MC or Elmer's Art Paste--they're essentially the same thing, or so I've read.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
gamus

Post by gamus »

K thx
Forum_Lurker

Post by Forum_Lurker »

Somewhat related topic, mummykicks mentioned s/he uses clips for shaping, anyone got any suggestions on using them, without leaving the imprint of the clip on the finished product?
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Although I have not used them myself I believe people use kitchen towel or toilet paper between the clamps.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Now that's interesting. Doesn't it stick to the model when you use MC for shaping?

When I wetfold something I use a blow-dryer to quickly dry the individual parts, so I shape, hold it in place and blow it dry.