Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
nwdo

Re: Shuki Kato's book

Post by nwdo »

I hope too. I love all of his models. especially his kabutomushi and zoanoid dragon. I appreciate any help that he would put on his book for zoanoid dragon. It sucks. Anyway I can't wait for his book. I hope he is going to release it this year :)
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Long time no see everyone. I cannot believe how fast time flies, I'm nearly 27 now and I've been semiactive in the origami community for a full 8 years and this topic alone was started 5 years ago.

I wanted to add that this book has been delayed a bunch mostly because I'm lazy as heck and seem to lose interest after diagramming many complex models for a period of time. The other reason is I do have a seasonal job at the golf course which makes it very difficult to get much done for an 8-month period of the year.

At this point I have finished diagramming most of my A-list models for the book and have decided to leave out some of the ones listed in the beginning of this thread. So no, I'm not even going to try to diagram the Evangelion, Ohmu, and Zoanoid Dragon. The good news is that since that time I have designed some nice mammals which more than make up for the exclusion of the others, in my opinion at least. The goal at this point is to have about 20 models in the book which is quite a lot when you consider that the average of the models so far is 180 steps.

Here is a quick list of planned diagrams for the book which are already complete:

1. Brachiosaurus (previously published, but refined here.)
2. Parasaurolophus
3. African Elephant (previously published, but refined here.)
4. Asian Elephant
5. Giraffe (previously published, but refined here.)
6. Kudu
7. Camel
8. Bear cub
9. Dragonfly
10. bison

The remaining models will most likely be on the easier side except for the giganotosaurus which I still plan on diagramming. I have drawn diagrams for two totoros, a wolf, and a diplodocus which I'm not planning to use for the book point because I want most of it to be new material.

Anyway, I just thought I would finally give a quick update. Thanks for supporting my origami work through all these years!
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Awesome! Looking forward to this book (especially the giganotosaurus!). Good to get an update!
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Cool! I really like your designing techniques, and I'd love to fold more of your models. Any idea when the book will be finished?
Last edited by Merlyngami on January 25th, 2017, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

Shuki,
Glad to hear the book is progressing. Are you a golfer too?
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
origami-artist-galen

Yes, I've been playing golf as a recreational sport for nearly 12 years now. As for the book, Nicolas has it scheduled for 2018, but the goal is still summer next year. Even that seems a bit far away, but I will try to meet that deadline.
Metangas

Post by Metangas »

As an almost exclusively animal-model interested folder and a great fan of both your models and your renditions of your models as I've seen them on Flickr, I am more than thrilled to hear that you're including a heap of animals in your book! I will now likely buy your book as soon as it's available to me!
Poor student passing by!
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

origami-artist-galen wrote: As for the book, Nicolas has it scheduled for 2018, but the goal is still summer next year.
or before if the book is ready ! :o)
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
philbx73

Post by philbx73 »

or before if the book is ready !
:D good luck Shuki !
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

There is virtually no effort involved, #-o to how gadgets have made life simpler for less physical people There are apps to help you with diagrams,layouts,photographs translations,,,everything..No travelling to libraries or using phone directories..he could do a Basic pamphlet from his home office.....He can even bypass the manager/agent/publisher stage and sell it online and get more than 60%or whatever the royalties are....!!!!!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Bridget, please go design a complex model, draw a diagram for it and then come back here and show it to us. Until you've done that you are not allowed to comment on this topic any more.
End of discussion.
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

Great news! Woah!

Can't wait anymore!!!!
origami-artist-galen

First, thank you for everybody's input!
TERRY Nicolas wrote:
origami-artist-galen wrote: As for the book, Nicolas has it scheduled for 2018,

but the goal is still summer next year.
or before if the book is ready ! :o)
That would be ideal, but I am a bit slow at diagramming you have to admit. :D :(
Bridget wrote:There is virtually no effort involved, #-o to how gadgets have made life simpler for less physical people There are apps to help you with diagrams,layoutsphotographs translations,,,everything..No travelling to libraries or using phone directories..he could do a Basic pamphlet from his home office.....He can even bypass the manager/agent/publisher stage and sell it online and get more than 60%or whatever the royalties are....!!!!!
That would be correct concerning the self publishing aspect of it, my choice of publishing this product with Nicolas Terry is entirely based solely on the fact that I believe he and Origami House are the most prestigious complex origami book publishers in the world and the opportunity to publish in their name is more important than pure monetary gains.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Bridget wrote:There is virtually no effort involved, #-o to how gadgets have made life simpler for less physical people There are apps to help you with diagrams,layouts,photographs translations,,,everything..No travelling to libraries or using phone directories..he could do a Basic pamphlet from his home office.....He can even bypass the manager/agent/publisher stage and sell it online and get more than 60%or whatever the royalties are....!!!!!
What Shuki said. When you can contribute a set of coherent diagrams to a difficult subject you can tell us all how easy it is. When you've published your own work you can tell us all how easy that is too. I suspect by the time you're done with that you'll realize your error.

What can be done with facility is a set of photo diagrams. However, these are woefully insufficient for models of the complexity of those designed by Shuki.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Do not blame her. I used too ask for diagrams for anything I found looking good. I got some annoyed reactions for it. A year later I decided too make my own diagrams for a 70 step model. It took like 60 hours. After that I knew how time consuming it is too make diagrams. Now shuki makes models that are around 250 steps. So I cannot imagine how much time that cost. I highly doubt he makes a profit from the book. But he sure makes some of the most impressive diagrammed models. So I'm looking forward too your book.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk