Origami pixels to create origami mosaics

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamiplus

Origami pixels to create origami mosaics

Post by origamiplus »

Hi,

I recently designed simple origami pixels that can be joined together by folding on their back. Here is what they look like:

The mosaics are fun to make.... and to photograph. :-)

The pixels are very easy and quick to fold, and to join. The downside is that the lock is not very strong. But the important thing is that it is strong enough. :-) As you can see in this video where I show how to fold and join the pixel units, I can lift a big Space Invader mosaic (130 pixels made from 7cm squares of copy paper) without breaking it, so one can make murals and hang them on a wall.

Origami pixels is not a new idea, and in fact I found that there was an Origami Pixels project more than 10 years ago that was initiatied by the British Origami Society. I put all the information that I could find regarding pixels in origami on this page: https://origami.plus/origami-pixel-unit ... mi-mosaics

Many thanks to Michel Grand who gave me a lot of information.

The most famous pixel unit seems to be Max Hulme's pixels, which where used to create a large "Picasso's Eye" mosaic.

I started to gather pictures of origami pixels mosaics made by different people on a new Origami Pixels site. Please let me know if you make some, so that I can add them as well.

Please let me know what you think of those new pixels.

Thank you,

Stéphane
origamiplus

Re: Origami pixels to create origami mosaics

Post by origamiplus »

How would you like your origami pixels? :-)

origamiplus

Post by origamiplus »

I created new triangular origami tiles that are compatible with my origami pixels. The new "trixels" are easy to fold and join, here is a demo and tutorial:

This wind rose star is made from 16 triangular trixels and 8 square pixels. What do you think of it?
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

The trixels are a great idea!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
origamiplus

Post by origamiplus »

Gerardo wrote:The trixels are a great idea!
Thank you very much Gerardo! I just designed new equilateral trixels so that more combinations are possible. I will publish the tutorial for them very soon.