Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
myself

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Post by myself »

96x96
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

umm sorry I actually meant the Ryujin 3.5 head not the whole ryujin 3.5.
My bad #-o #-o
the correct question: what grid should I use for the ryujin 3.5 head?
myself

Post by myself »

That depends on which CP you use. There's one with the infamous "neck twist" and one without it. I only folded the version without the neck twist and scales, before I folded the whole Ryujin.

http://oriart.ru/_fr/4/4281219.jpg (with neck twist and scales) 36x36

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3105/3174 ... 0d2698.jpg (without neck twist) 32x32

I hope this helps.
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Ah thank you very much!
I am looking forward to fold this amazing model!
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Hey guys,
I came across this video (Its two parts, this is part 2)
https://youtu.be/fwml3VEWU4YY

Its about the necktwist of Ryujin 3.5. I wanna know if this is actually correct? I got into trouble at around 11:14 because the flaps just doesnt seem to line up exactly in my paper.
jackschitt

Post by jackschitt »

Hi, I'm folding the Ryujin 3.5 at the moment (with the CP in the book) and it all worked like a charm (more or less :D). I only got one problem: How do I connect the two areas of scales? In the CP there are some little Diamonds on the bottom half, but I tried to fold them (by themselves and in the dragon) and I just can't get them to lie flat nor do "anything productive" to connect the scales at all... Is there a big thing I'm missing? The two parts of scales should overlap with 2 units, right? I haven't folded the scales in the dragon just yet. At the moment I'm out of my wits... :(
satoshifan

Post by satoshifan »

Hi guys, I haven't posted on here for a few years but I think this might be worth asking.

I'm about to start folding a 2.1, and I've already test folded most of the components (not the legs, but this version's are simple enough I think). The thing is, I'd like to shape the scales (which I've practice plenty of and am not worried about) and have a spiked tail like the 3.5. I've seen this done in an image on flickr I believe, so I know it's possible, but I'm not sure how to do it with the 2.1 given the missing 4 and a half (I believe?) units of the grid used for the 3.5 tail. These missing units are, of course, because 2.1 has 3 rows of scales as opposed to 5. I may just wing it....

Other than that, any advice just for a first fold of the 2.1? I'm fairly sure I'm prepared, just looking for tips. Thanks :)
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

You need thin paper and a large one, at least 150 cm maybe? If you're still new to origami you probably shouldn't fold this one yet. I haven't folded this model completely as well.

Anyways, does anybody know where the video of satoshi kamiya folding the ryujin 3.5 is? Can't seem to find it in english sites. As far as I know, it's from a japanese domain. thanks in advance :)
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I have been folding for a long time and I still have not dared to even a try ryujin 3.5, although his Ancient dragon, perhaps the next best thing, his fairly easy enough.
I could not find a video of Satoshi Kamiya folding it himself although there are plenty of time lapses of English/American people folding it. I also tried to type "Satoshi Kamiya folding origami dragon god" into google translate and searched it up in Japanese, with no luck.
GenghisKhan

Post by GenghisKhan »

So here is my finished RyuJin 3.5
It's far from perfect, but I am happy with it, especially because I finished it with long study sessions and very little help from tutorials/guides
Thanks Satoshi Kamiya for designing such a beautiful, complex and unconventional model, it's been a long, challenging and very interesting year :)

Jonybb

Post by Jonybb »

Great job! The head is really well done, as well as the scales. Legs could use a little work, especially the toes - you can make them quite long and thin. See my fold:

GenghisKhan

Post by GenghisKhan »

Thanks Jonybb for your feedback, really appreciate !

I agree toes/legs could be more refined
I struggled to find a satisfying solution having closed-top ridge toes
I hope to find some willingness to model it further later on :D
SeekerKuba

Post by SeekerKuba »

Hello,
Does anyone knows it is still possible to receive ryujin 3.5 lessons? On internet i found and completed 7 of them. I took photo and sent them to author(Daniel Brown aka MrOrigami on fb and flickr) of the lessons but without any response. I dont want to spam him becasue this wont help obviously, so i am asking here.
Anyone knows is there any chance to get them?
SeekerKuba

Post by SeekerKuba »

On 4chandata and archived.moe i found links to lessons 1-18 but unfortunetelly they are not working anymore.
There is plenty of photodiagrams and tutorials presenting how to fold each part but... separately. I know how to fold leg, head and leg scales separately but when it comes to large piece of paper i.e 1x2m it is totaly different, i mean how to fold one part without making paper looks horrible.
On my first attempt i used bad tool(to sharp) for 'precreasing' and when i started collapsing scales on legs my paper ripped apart multiple times(brown kraft with stripes) so i gave up for a while to practice my skills/patience...
Anyway looking for a http://www.wonko.info/365origami/?p=4143 those lessons are exactly what i need.
If (for some reasons) you dont want to place link here please share them via email teraseeker@gmail.com.
Thx in advance
merman

Post by merman »

Small question: am I right that the folds of the head section are not all at a 22.5 degree angle but more linked to the 96x96 grid?