John Szinger's Adirondack Chair

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
KateTwee

John Szinger's Adirondack Chair

Post by KateTwee »

I am a beginner, first of all. I bought John Szinger's book Zin Origami, and am desperately trying to make the adirondack chair, but get caught at step 11 over and over again. I'm not sure where the outside end of the mountain fold and the longer valley folds are supposed to be. I've forced it a couple of times, and then it doesn't work at step 13...hard to detail in writing, but has anyone else figured this out, or know where a video may be? Thank you, Kate.
TheRealChris

Re: John Szinger's Adirondack Chair

Post by TheRealChris »

hello and welcome to the board.
I've corrected your link, please proof read your entries in the future. thanks :)
jeko

Post by jeko »

KateTwee wrote:but get caught at step 11 over and over again. I'm not sure where the outside end of the mountain fold and the longer valley folds are supposed to be.
the longer valley folds start at the intersection of the other 2 valley folds, then you line up the two folded orange edges (i.e. the left one at 45 deg with the right vertical one, and the left one at 45 deg with the top horizontal one). The mountain folds will form automatically when you flatten the model.
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

Using the intersection at A as a known point based on the Blue lines, use it as a pivot point so that the mountain fold line touches the line indicated. This should allow you to then crease the other valley fold going down from A. The right edge will also become perpendicular to the center line. This means that when you do the same to the other side, there will be some overlap.

AdirondackChair_011 by bkwebb, on Flickr
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
natchela

Post by natchela »

Hello,

I'm also stuck on this model, only on step 18 which asks for squash folds... presumably to shape the future sides of the back of the chair, but I can't figure it out. I think of the things that's making it hard for me might be the number of layers of paper along that edge; and I'm having a hard time even envisioning how to get from step 18 to the pattern shown in 19.

No luck finding a video, even on Tuttle Publishing's website.

I know this is a number of years later, but it seemed to make sense to add to this post rather than make a new one.