I want a book by...

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
greencube07

Re: I want a book by...

Post by greencube07 »

Augustus Agamemnon wrote:I have to admit there aren't many Korean books that show complex designs).
There are couple of reasons for this but mainly it's because of the cost..
You see, here in Korea, Origami is not that popular among the various generations and there are still biased views over origami as 'kid-things'. So we mainly sell the books with easy designs aimed at children consumers(majority in number). Otherwise, if we make books with complex models aiming at mania class(minority in number), we may fail to sell the books and have a deficit..
If you guys are supportive and have intentions to buy the books, we can make.. :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If the book features nice complex models, there surely is a market. The complicated thing is to get in touch with those interested. I guess a collaboration with Nicolas Terry would be good, because he has the right customers. Of course you can advertise the book here as well as on the Origami Mailing List and there are also a couple of other Origami Forums out there.
I'd definitely like to buy a book of you complex designs.
AxolotlBottle
Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Post by AxolotlBottle »

I would definitely Buy a book of complex models. A plus side would be if it was relatively easy to purchase, sometimes I find purchasing from foreign sites can be a bit hard due to language barriers and such.
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

I have the idea to make a book with Korean artists since my Korean Convention trip a few years ago. Then I evoked the idea with Jassu . Now, to move ahead, I need to find a korean guy who know all the koeran artists and accept to be the link between them and me during the conception of the book. greencube07, if you want to be that guy, contact me !
Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

TERRY Nicolas wrote:I have the idea to make a book with Korean artists since my Korean Convention trip a few years ago. Then I evoked the idea with Jassu . Now, to move ahead, I need to find a korean guy who know all the koeran artists and accept to be the link between them and me during the conception of the book. greencube07, if you want to be that guy, contact me !
Nicolas
It seems that the models of my own were all rejected (for diagraming) by your decision, and was also rejected by the official Korean Origami Group, so I have no right to participate in the interaction.(This is the main reason why we are making the book on our own : we can't access and ask for your help when you're dealing with the official group members.) Otherwise, I would have helped the whole process..
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

AxolotlBottle wrote:I would definitely Buy a book of complex models. A plus side would be if it was relatively easy to purchase, sometimes I find purchasing from foreign sites can be a bit hard due to language barriers and such.
We were thinking about asking Mr.Terry for selling the books through his site(origamishop; which is one of most easiest ways to buy origami stuff), but we couldn't since the models were all rejected even before the ask.. so we're thinking of selling the books through Amazon and OrigamiUSA(if they accept them).
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

I cannot remember that I rejected any book ! I try usualy to support any publication, even a confidential, buying at least a minimum quantity order to help the author. Just check origami-shop and you will see so many books in this way (last was Hsi-Min's book for example) .
Maybe I forgot but honestly, I'm very surprise about your story.
I've requested several korean models for Drawing Origami Tome 2 and choose 2 (because can't add more in one book). This is what you are talking about ?

By the way, I feel you slightly embittered so I invite you to contact me privately so that we could solve this problem and eventually see if and how I can help for your project.

Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
quiet marverick

Post by quiet marverick »

zachb wrote:What about a book by Alexander Kurth? It can give some helpful tips with wet folding, as well as reverse engineering like what he did with Joisel's work.
I'm sorry to react that late to your suggestion but I have not seen it earlier. Thank you for your interest in my work ;)

I'm working on a book including my own designs since some years. (Too many years) I'm not that disciplined with it. One of the reasons is that I have not really an idea how to make and publish a book. Another point is the less time. However I still try to finish it! So I have set the goal to finish it end of 2017. If there are people interested in... you have to remember and urge me now and then :lol:

I also had the idea for a book about wetfolding. But I don't think I have enough content to fill it... Adding other tips like reverse engineering and so on could be a solution. But I think I can start with that idea only after finishing my first book. It's definitely on my To Do List ;)

Allex
pol origami

Post by pol origami »

Here I leave a link of an Ecuadorian origamist, I met him at an origami convention in Cusco, he is a very good person and if we are Latin, we must support ourselves, so support the Latin talent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N45XCMC/re ... 774&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Origami-Doblando ... l+espinoza

https://www.amazon.com/Espont%C3%A1neo- ... l+espinoza

https://www.amazon.com/Origami-Espont%C ... l+espinoza

https://www.amazon.com/Origami-Doblando ... l+espinoza
Last edited by pol origami on November 27th, 2016, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponadr

Post by Ponadr »

I want a book by... Joseph Hwang. :wink:
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

i would like very much for Victoria Serova to compile some models and c.p's that have Been lost since her web-page got closed........
Also there are others with extensive galleries whos websites were blocked.....Im certain If youre reading this youve been frustrated by clicking on links winch are caput .....
MotherOfThree

Post by MotherOfThree »

I have five thoughts about this topic:
First, I also would really like to see a book by Hojyo Takashi, since I really enjoy his mythologic characters.
Second, a book with Hubert Villeneuve's works would be great, his way turning box-pleated bases into statues full of life and personality astonishes me.
Third, I'd love a book by Sébastien Limet, too.
Apart from that, I'm missing a book about polygon packing design theory. I know there is School of Masters by Andrey Ermakov, but even being able to read Cyrillic letters, I speak no word Russian, unfortunately. (I would also appreciate an English translation, but I don't know if anyone wants to do this at any time.)
Finally, I am missing complex origami books in Germany. In Germany most people recognize origami as childish stuff, and so publications strongly orientate on children. I know there are some great German designers, so a collection of complex models by German designers is definitely on my list of books that I'd buy if they were there.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

MotherOfThree wrote:I have five thoughts about this topic:
First, I also would really like to see a book by Hojyo Takashi, since I really enjoy his mythologic characters.
ha! this book has apparently been in the works for decades now.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

MotherOfThree wrote: Apart from that, I'm missing a book about polygon packing design theory.
Robert J Lang's ODS has a chapter on polygon packing, but only in the second edition.
MotherOfThree

Post by MotherOfThree »

bethnor wrote:ha! this book has apparently been in the works for decades now.
I know, but you can always hope!
NeverCeaseToCrease wrote:Robert J Lang's ODS has a chapter on polygon packing, but only in the second edition.
Robert Lang's chapter is really interesting, but I was talking about something that goes far more into detail. He explains box pleating and hex pleating, but "School of Masters" is almost completely about polygon packing including more complex techniques. Don't get me wrong, ODS is the best book on designing you can find, but Andrey Ermakov is a true master on polygon packing, and so his book goes deeper (and that's what I am thinking by only looking at the graphics). On the other hand, "School of Masters" seems to have not much explanation about level shifting, pythagorean stretches and other stuff like that. So my (perhaps utopian) dream is about a book that handles everything, optimally in english.
This topic isn't called "I want a book that is going to exist by...", so as mentioned above, you can always hope.