Help with Jun Maekawa's Japanese Macaque (Genuine Origami)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Numblebee

Help with Jun Maekawa's Japanese Macaque (Genuine Origami)

Post by Numblebee »

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to origami and I'm currently trying to teach myself to read diagrams. At the moment I'm trying to fold models from Jun Maekawa's excellent book Genuine Origami but I'm completely stumped by his Japanese Macaque. I am stuck on steps 33-34 (the sink to make the head) - I have no idea what the picture shows or what it is I'm trying to achieve & sadly my practice attempts have all disintegrated before I could work it out. If anyone could offer me some advice about how to solve it and finally finish a macaque I would be most grateful.

Thank you very much!
oz

Re: Help with Jun Maekawa's Japanese Macaque (Genuine Origam

Post by oz »

First off, welcome to the forum!!! :D

That step is confusing. Check out this crease pattern, it might make a little more sense:

If you're folding with 6" kami like the book suggests, you might actually try a larger piece of paper, such as printer paper or something. When you get to step 34, go ahead and draw on the paper to help you shape it correctly. Once you have it figured out, switch back to the paper you want to use!

If you're still a little confused, here's a few photos trying to show how the model collapses back together:

Good luck! Have fun! Let me know if you have any other troubles or if something here can be clearer. :)
Numblebee

Re: Help with Jun Maekawa's Japanese Macaque (Genuine Origam

Post by Numblebee »

Thank you so much, both for the welcome and for taking the time to make such a clear & helpful post! Now I actually understand what's going on. I had to abandon my attempts with kami but I managed to finish my macaque with a 20 cm square and I'm really pleased with how it's come out. It's a great model & I'm looking forward to making more.

Thank you again for making me feel very welcome & for being such a big help. Now back to improving my skills so I can work my way up to the big stuff!