October Design Challenge

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Tony Koppers

October Design Challenge

Post by Tony Koppers »

Welcome to October! The theme for this month will be exploration. The task is obviously to design and fold something related to exploration.

Some ideas:
A caravel, or some navigational instrument
Something related to Indiana Jones
A space shuttle

Rules:
Must be folded from a single square
No glue or cuts, methyl cellulose is allowed
You must be able to demonstrate how the model pertains to the theme of exploration
Nepafarius will judge

Good luck!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: October Design Challenge

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Last month I procrastinated and forgot to enter anything. This month I won't do that again.

So, on the 7th day of October, I have entered a model of Indiana Jones himself. Pretty self explanatory how it's related to exploration. He is an explorer, and although fictional he still inspires people both to be brave and to be prepared.

The whip, shoulder bag, and all the clothes are from the same piece of paper.

(The sparkles are from the relflection of my camera)
Last edited by NeverCeaseToCrease on October 24th, 2017, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

That's an accurate fold..do I have to draw diagrams or c.p as well.??where can I look at all the precious entries?
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Thank you... if by accurate fold you mean my model. Drawing cps are not required to enter the competition, just a photo. For previous entries, you will have to click on the thread labeled "September design challenge" or "August design challenge" or something.
MotherOfThree

Post by MotherOfThree »

It's truly sad that the monthly challenges are declining that much. It's October 23rd, and there are only two submissions so far (mine included)! The concept of these challenges is great, and it really hasn't earned to become derelict.
But since this has already been discussed widely in varoius other threads, here my submission for this month:

Urge of exploration, designed and folded by MotherOfThree

fig.1: Angler fish
fig.2: Submarine
fig.3: Mountain climber
fig.4: Moon

Technical facts:
Paper: ~30cm of white paper similar to Kraft, but stiffer (a more precise explanation later)
Dry folded, single square, no cuts and/or glue, but maybe small traces of dough...

So, how does this refer to the topic of exploration?
First, hence the name, it's a tribute to the human urge of explore the natural extremes of this world in general. More specific, it's referring to three main topics:
Deeper: The lower part shows (However, in a pretty simpified way) the deep sea, as a natural limit to reach into the sea, symbolized by a deep sea angler fish (fig.1) and a submarine (fig.2).
Higher: The highest point on earth is at Mount Everest, highest mountain in the Himalaya, and here represented with a mountain and a climbing person (fig.3).
Farer: Space seems to be endless. I think, probably everyone has asked himself about what's out there, at least one time. This aspect is pictured here with the moon and a space shuttle (or similar) in its orbit (fig.4). This is technically not the farest we went, but let it be a symbol for travelling into space.

So far about mankind, but this model stands for exploration also in some personal views for me. On one hand, it is completely doodled, only with a vague idea of what it should be, on the other hand the medium which is used is also an exploration for itself. It's originally a sheet of paper used to separate layers of pizza dough, which I found being used exactly that way, thinking it could be kind of useful, and finally I used it for this project.

To conclude this short explanation, this model, although it could be folded more clean, represents the term of exploration in many, many ways. And maybe, some people will reexplore the monthly challenge as a great creative way to share their designs, and learn about designing, which is also a way of exploration.
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

First off, these are really cool! Nice job both of you!

Second, I must agree, MotherOfThree (rhyme not intended)... the monthly challenge shouldn't be as forgotten as it seems to be. It's a really cool idea; I think its a fun way to get ideas and to get outside of my comfort zone as a designer. In fact, it's the primary reason I've joined the forum... but I guess a lot of people don't agree...

And since you are correct, that topic has been thoroughly discussed previously, back to the subject of the challenge: it's now October 28th, so if there is anyone out there who is still working on something, get it in quickly! Or maybe, challenge yourself, and see what you can come up with in only three days... Good luck to any unlikely last minute submissions!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

I too joined the forum because of the challenges, and I agree that it's activeness has been going down a lot. I mean, last month we had only one entry! I think the main reason for this is because the topics are getting stretched and not as interesting. It might be helpful if we do an old topic that people will be excited to fold, like insects, dragons, etc. The June 2017 contest had 3 pages of entries because people could design things they liked.

Just a suggestion, Tony...
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

Very interesting nctc... Maybe we should try repeating an older topic for the next few months and see how many people participate...
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Neverceasetocrease wins this month, next topic up soon
MotherOfThree

Post by MotherOfThree »

Congratulations, NeverCeaseToCrease! Your Indiana Jones model is a really professional design.