[Sort of a Tutorial] Dragon Knight 2.0 by Obelisk

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
BlazeWarrior

[Sort of a Tutorial] Dragon Knight 2.0 by Obelisk

Post by BlazeWarrior »

Ok, so I managed to fold Obelisk's Dragon Rider and want to share my little bit of knowledge if someone needs it.
CP: http://www.zhezhixueyuan.com/forum.php? ... ra=&page=1
Photo Diagram: http://www.zhezhixueyuan.com/forum.php? ... a=page%3D1
(quick note about the links: they seem to be the only ones available on the internet for the CP and Diagram, Chrome points the site as malware, but I managed to go to firefox, register on the weird chinese site it redirects you to, register on it and downloading the CP + 5 parts of the zipped image CP without getting a virus. Yet. I am not really sure if I can reupload the images I downloaded, though. Additionally, I also merged all the 100 tutorial photos and the CP on a pdf file to make it easier to myself)

TL;DR - I am folding Obelisk's Dragon Rider and may try to help anyone who wants to fold it too. On this topic, I compiled the most useful tips I can give.
Below, I wrote my experiences folding it, along with some tips and explanatory images.
On the bottom of the post, I compiled the most important stuff for those who want to fold it but are not interested on reading it all.

At first glance, I just fell in love with the Dragon Rider. I knew I needed to fold it. Badly. It looked so epic, on the medieval style, with all those details, and dragons and... And so was it, I dove in 3 days of inspiration peak, trying to figure it out over and over. First, I tried the photo diagram and failed, then the CP, then the diagram, then the CP... Slowly figured out where the head, tail, wings and stuff were by using the photos I had.
Image: I put a white background instead of the CP to make sure there would be no problems with sharing it. You can still see what each part of the dragon stands for on the CP.

I failed folding the CP because it was taking too long and I didn't know the model Collapses around the tail. After a long time studying the CP, I attempted to fold the diagrams once more. I always was getting stuck at the first steps, right after you collapse the 9-point 64x64 box pleat base (must be folded in half, 3 flaps on each side's bottom and 3 flaps on top), because you have to fold the model in half in a weird way and it will likely look different from the pictures for some reason, even if it's correct.
(Tip: If you are having trouble with this too, what worked for me was to make a 16x16 grid base like the Dragon Rider one on a 20cmx20cm paper and try to fold it around, having in mind the first step is on the top center part/flap of the paper (back legs), like on the CP)
After figuring that out (and after over 10 hours just refolding 64x64 grids on cheap thick paper and trying to collapse), the rest of the fold was quite easy, except for the wing details, that I am currently trying to figure out.
This is my final base: Image
Note that I know it looks incredibly bad, but it seems correct and will look nice when I refold it on Alios Kraft. It is also a good example of how it looks if you fold it on small, weak, thick paper (it ripped on a few points).

Image and this one is the head details. Collapsing the head is a bit tricky (actually, the whole head is a bit tricky), but looks possible to fold too, but not on small paper
I think the best paper size for this origami is 75x75cm, but haven't tested it out yet. You more likely won't be able to fold the details on 40x40cm or smaller.

Important notes on the photo diagram:
-The first step after the base is one of the least clear ones, you have to fold the sides in half on a weird way, I don't even know exactly how to explain (nor remember it).
-After that, the only important thing I have to say is to be careful not to get lost when changing the flap sizes around, because I once made a mistake when folding that part and my center head wouldn't collapse because one side was bigger than the other one, I think the "knight flap" probably "stole"/"ate" the missing paper units.
-Pre-creasing and collapsing the initial base (the one that just uses the 64x64 grid) is what takes most time, as usual.

Important notes on the CP:
-If you look at the center of the CP, you are looking at the tip of the tail, and looking at the model from behind (the heads would be farther to you than the tail is)
-The model collapses on a 9-point 64x64 box pleat base:
Top left and right flaps: wings (will be the left and right ones that are folded behind on the initial base)
Top center flap: will be folded up and split in half to make the back legs
Left and right and bottom center flaps: the dragon heads. You may want to test fold those before folding so you can collapse and shape them better when final folding
Bottom left flap: will be folded up so it forms the "knight". it is a bit tricky to do the reverse folds on it, and you will need thin/big paper to make it look nicely shaped
Bottom right flap: front legs. Will also be split in two to make the front legs, but note it is not symetrycal and the front right leg will be from part of the paper that is folded 180 degrees while the front left leg will be on the edge of the paper.
Center flap: the tail. It will be folded in half with all other layers hidden inside it. Really thick.

I have really bad memory so I hope I didn't miss out on writing anything. Something I did now remember to edit the topic and add to it was this wallpaper here http://i.imgur.com/PfvxeCd.png
it was edited by me, image from the internet, folded by Almir, I think his instagram link is https://www.instagram.com/cekws/ just for proper crediting
I can also change the background details/color/dragon color for it if someone needs actually wants it, and try to change the aspect ratio, just in case

At last, I hope it was useful to someone and please contact me if you want to know anything else about this model. It was really painful to figure it out myself, so I want to avoid that happening to other people.
Last edited by BlazeWarrior on December 30th, 2016, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: [Sort of a Tutorial] Dragon Knight 2.0 by Obelisk

Post by origami_8 »

Wow, I guess you win the price for best first post of all time. Welcome on board!
BlazeWarrior

Post by BlazeWarrior »

thanks, I am happy someone liked it
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Do some of the photos working for you? Some of mine are not displaying...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, they show just fine for me.
PiEater32

Post by PiEater32 »

How exactly did you guys download these photo diagrams? The Chinese site (zhezhixueyuan.com) says that I need to register. When try to register, however, it tells me that I can't register right now. I tried to use the "login with Wechat button", which just redirected me to another two random Chinese site, one of which seems to be a gambling site.

Can you guys offer any help?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Given that a year passed since the last post, I'd guess that the link doesn't work any more.
PiEater32

Post by PiEater32 »

Yeah, that's what I though too. Thanks for the help anyway!
LordSkellyBoi

Post by LordSkellyBoi »

Hey do you happen to still have the files saved somewhere? Or can I use your account for the Photo diagram Website, or can you use it and download the files for me? They currently aren't allowing people t register new accounts because they were hacked... Please I would really like to make this... [-o< [-o< [-o<
Lord Of The Skelly Bois
TBlazeWarriorT

Post by TBlazeWarriorT »

origami_8 wrote:Given that a year passed since the last post, I'd guess that the link doesn't work any more.
Can I directly share the diagrams here on the forum? I didn't do it originally to avoid breaking piracy rules, but the diagrams are free and people seem to need them
TBlazeWarriorT

Post by TBlazeWarriorT »

PiEater32 wrote:How exactly did you guys download these photo diagrams? The Chinese site (zhezhixueyuan.com) says that I need to register. When try to register, however, it tells me that I can't register right now. I tried to use the "login with Wechat button", which just redirected me to another two random Chinese site, one of which seems to be a gambling site.

Can you guys offer any help?
I still have them, I'll find a way to share it in the next few days
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

http://www.zhezhixueyuan.com/forum.php? ... ra=&page=1
http://www.zhezhixueyuan.com/forum.php? ... a=page%3D1

I found some links that seem to work better. I have yet to fold this but it is on my to-do list.

Good luck to all who try this (myself included) and I hope the links work.
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

To join Zhezhixieyuan you need to clear your cache...install and enable Google translate on your browser.
Then install Wechat sign up and you won't be able to download till you add a profile picture..
So clear your memory again and find a browser to do this Wechat is fine.Chrome has not got plug in.
Copy and paste the page to add upload in photo on Wechat.Now you can make credits by signing in twice a day..saying hi to other members.completing tasks .Each search uses -5 envelopes.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Thank you! This is really well done.