Origami Skills

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
lahill01

Origami Skills

Post by lahill01 »

I am new to origami, and I am wondering if there is a list of folds that you need to know to master advanced origami OR if the list of types of folds increases as the project becomes more complex.
FlareglooM

Re: Origami Skills

Post by FlareglooM »

First of all, welcome to the forum lahill01.

Regarding your question:
To me, neither statements are a complete answer to the question on what you need to know to get to advanced origami.
There is not an extensive list of types of folds, at least to me, nor does the types of folds always increase as the project becomes more complex.

This is often model specific.

I've seen really complex looking models, using only the simplest combinations of folds, but also quite simple looking models using quite tricky combinations of folds.

In it's simplest form, origami only consists of two basic folds: the valley and the mountain fold.
Every other type of fold comes from a combination of these two folds. Common combinations have been given their own name. To name a few:
- Inside reverse fold.
- Outside reverse fold.
- Hybrid reverse fold.
- Rabbit ear fold.
- Double rabbit ear fold.
- Squash fold.
- Swivel fold.
- Petal fold.
- Pleat fold.
- Crimp fold.
- Open sink fold.
- Closed sink fold.
- Spread sink fold.
- Unsink fold.

If you know at least some of these you can already do a lot. A lot of models combine a subset of these type of folds.

So if you want to get to the advanced origami, I have some suggestions, if you want them:
- One of the most important ones: Fold! :)
- Fold models that appeal to you.
- Learn to read/fold from diagrams. Even with today's youtube how to fold a model videos, diagrams are still an important way to share and fold models.
- Learn to identify combinations of folds. This will make reading diagrams easier if you already know that combination. This will usually grow naturally if you just fold.
- Take your time. Some people get better quicker than others. Which brings me to the most important point:
- Have fun! :)
My Flickr

FlareglooM
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

FlareglooM wrote:In it's simplest form, origami only consists of two basic folds: the valley and the mountain fold.
Well, those two are really only one, it just depends on which side of the creased paper you are looking at. :lol:

I agree with your points, one need to fold a lot to become better at folding (that's the same for many other activities as well - "practice make perfect", and so on).
binky2819

Post by binky2819 »

If you’re totally new to origami, it would be best to start folding very simple models, and slowly make your way to more and more complex ones.

There isn’t a particular list of types of fold you need to learn to master complex origami. Just like with any other skill/ability, really all you need is practice to become better (and motivation, of course). It’s never easy to become a master at anything, but with time and patience you can get there. :)

Before even attempting a complex model you need to be familiar with most of the different types of folds. Of the ones FlareglooM mentions, some are simple and have little variation, like the reverse folds and pleats. Some like the Double rabbit ear fold are pretty much only ever done when shaping a model, and not during the actual folding process. I’d say the Open sink is one of the trickiest. Sometimes it’s simple but other times it can be really convoluted.
Learning the different types of folds isn’t the only thing needed to become good. Interpreting diagrams and crease patterns is also important.

Simply take your time, and don’t get too ahead of yourself. You may eventually even learn how to design models of your own.
Check out all of my designs at my Flickr! https://www.flickr.com/photos/156771525@N03/