suggestion of a model for young women

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Yoshi

suggestion of a model for young women

Post by Yoshi »

I am going to teach a workshop for female in their 20's and 30's. students are from low intermediates to intermediates and it's a 3 hrs workshop to introduce the crafting side of the origami courses to the audience.
in longer classes we are going to make boxes, mobiles and simple jewelry by origami.

what do you think is a good origami model for one day workshop? I think crane is to common and I am sure they have made it before. I was thinking about 2 or 3 of LaFosse's butterflies.
but because they are in different levels I am going to start with a brief history and practice to perfect of some basic techniques like nakaware ori (inside reverse fold), kasane ori (outside reverse fold) or shizume ori (sink fold). the thing is non of these techniques are used in Butterflies. do you have other suggestions that could be a continuation of the basic folds and yet be suitable for the theme?
and by the way Brandon Wong in quora suggest this forum to me. I am happy to find you. [-o<

p.s. Okay!I add this a day after I submitted the question. I used Japanese terms for techniques like reverse folding or sink folding in the question not knowing they are used commonly and that made lots of confusion! I am sorry. :oops:
I am adding the English terms inside parentheses after their Japanese names now.
Last edited by Yoshi on July 12th, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: suggestion of a model for young women

Post by origami_8 »

Hello and welcome on board!

What are nakaware ori, kasane ori and shizume ori?
I'm into Origami for a really long time now, being Moderator of this Forum, attending Conventions all over the world, even writing an Origami Book, but haven't ever heard of these "basic techniques".

About what to teach, maybe sonobe units. Those can be made into a bunch of different shapes depending on the number of modules used. With only a few additional folds it is possible to alter the units to get different colour changes on those shapes. They are easy with a nice result.
Apart from that I'd probably teach an action model, but that's just because I love action models.
Frankly I wouldn't bother to teach more than one LaFosse butterfly in one workshop. Sure they look nice but I'd rather teach one model twice so they can easily remember or one time only to have time for something completely different.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Re: nakaware ori, kasane ori and shizume ori [shizune ?]

I've never heard of those terms either, but Google says that Udemy has a free course that describes them:

https://www.udemy.com/origami-paper-cra ... cudemy.com

I didn't explore, but it looks like they may refer to Flower Origami, the Categories of different types of folds, and perhaps Origami with cuts [or cut out paper dolls?].

These may be more modern terms [ or more 'hip' terms?] for 'ancient' terms that we knew from the 1960s. ;-)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Okay, I found an 5OSME article about those terms. It seems they are the Japanese terms for sink and reverse folds.
Yoshi, when teaching your class, please be aware, that outside of Japan, these are not commonly known terms. Please familiarise yourself with either the English terms or the terms in the language you want to teach this workshop in as it might lead to further confusion if you teach your students terms that are actually not commonly known.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

OK! I learnt or practiced origami while I was living in Japan then it is natural for me to use the original words for techniques as Japanese kanjis have this picturesque nature to them. for example in 中割り折り knowing meaning of each kanjis is kind of helpful when you do the fold, they guid your hand.
and I am a sempai in my aikido dojo too and we use the technique names nearly always by their Japanese terms then somehow I brought the habit with me to origami!!!
but I didn't know in English they are not used at all and it could be unfamiliar for you sorry.

:) what about the suggestion for the class? do anybody have some interesting model to recommend?

dear origami_8, I love action models too and make them all the time with kids but for adults I was thinking maybe something decorative could be more interesting.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

I did write a explanation for using the Japanese terms and submit it but I couldn't find it now!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear Yoshi, that you couldn't see your message has to do with the settings of this Forum. To prevent Spam posts from showing up for the users, the first three posts of each new member have to be approved manually by a Moderator. This can take a bit time depending on how often one of us Moderators visits the Forum. It is a bit unfortunate, that even the author isn't able to see his own message after submitting, but that's how things are. Furthermore if you edit one of those first three posts it has to be re-approved, since some Spammers write inconspicuous messages at first and later on pack them with Spam links. Since you have three approved messages now, all further messages should show up immediately after you post them.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Thank you for explanation origami_8.
great I can proceed without delay now.
Froy

Post by Froy »

HankSimon wrote:Re: nakaware ori, kasane ori and shizume ori [shizune ?]
these are the japanese names of the procedures for inside reverse fold, the second I'm not too sure and for sink fold.

I belvie the second is for aligning 2 creases.

The therm for outside reverse fold is kabuse ori.
Last edited by Froy on July 14th, 2018, 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Thanks!!!