Monthly Design Challenge - July 2018

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: Monthly Design Challenge - July 2018

Post by Gerardo »

-sebl- wrote:in search of happiness...
That's one awesome concept -sebl- :o!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

My model was not designed this month. I thought I remembered something about that rule, but looking around in the Forum I couldn't find anything about it...
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Tankoda wrote:Is it an official rule that models must be designed during the month of the challenge?
The origami fold or design challenge has gone through many changes through the years. It started on March 2007 by Fishgoth, but it wasn't up to September 2009 that Sunburst explicitly proposed it as a rule:
Sunburst wrote:The rules : (...)
5) You may only submit something that you have designed specifically for this challenge.
With time rules like this one have become implicit, which is why many monthly challenge hosts don't mention it explicitly, eventually becoming a cause of confusion :?.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't know that.
Iren Rondo

Post by Iren Rondo »

Dear Sebastien Limet and NeverCeaseToCrease, your models are awesome! I'm glad you're searching for the new ways of interpreting happiness! :)
CassiusAuratus7

Post by CassiusAuratus7 »

Hi here's my entry...
ImageHappy folder by cassiusauratus7, on Flickr
After all, doesn't origami bring happiness to all of us here?
BTW, the piece of paper in the man's hand collapses into another man...
Hope y'all like it!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/baltofold ... ed-public/
It's not executed very well, but I won't have time to make a better one by the end of the month.

Anyway, it's a representation of nature, which is one thing that helps me find happiness. (And, though the flower isn't very visible, it makes the bird happy too!)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

First off, super sorry for being late... If the judge elects not to allow me, I totally understand, but I wanted to show what I've been working on for this month. Won't happen again, professor...

Second off, my interpretation of this month's challenge was to fold something that made me happy. For me, that happens to be listening to music. Folding a music note or a headphone set would have been very easy, and I wanted to try something I haven't done much, so I elected to fold the cover art from a new album of a band I particularly like. Here's what I have so far:

What I was working from

I know that the folding could use some work. It could probably benefit from a thinner, larger paper, for one thing (I used 1m square thin kraft paper, so that will be pretty tough). It could also be improved by just spending more time working on the shaping of the whole thing. However, I was away from home most of the month, with little access to the proper materials I needed, so I had very little time to work on the shaping.

I also have plans to improve the design. First, the legs need some work so they're not so thick. Second, I would like to add some patterns to the back to emulate the source material. Third, I need to shorten the neck a bit. hopefully that comes by a natural byproduct of working out the second challenge. Lastly, I need to find a paper better suited to the design... That will be fun
Razvan Cel Mare

Post by Razvan Cel Mare »

I want to congratulate all who participated. Nice folding everyone :)
Is hard to express emotions on/with a model, but that's the art about.
CassiusAuratus7 wrote:After all, doesn't origami bring happiness to all of us here?
You're right, Cassius. Origami does bring happiness in our lifes. I like your concept of folding origami 8) I see you keep coming with new designes, I encorage to do more and practice more on shaping.
-sebl- wrote:sometime hapiness is so difficult to find
No, it's not, -sebl-. You just have to figure out what you want and then work on getting it. Working on that can be frustrating, but in the end won't matter because feels so good to see it accomplish. Realy nice and simple model, clean folds, and I love it, but I felt he's sadness not happiness.
Tony Koppers wrote:If the judge elects not to allow me, I totally understand, but I wanted to show what I've been working on for this month
If I take in consider - or not - your model, it wouldn't make a difference on the winner for this mount :D It's a great model and I'm sure it gave you hard times folding it. Looking forward to see the improvements you will make :wink: Keep up and head's up for the deadline :D

And the winner of this month challenge is.. NeverCeaseToCrease!
If not children with flowers, playing around, don't make us happy - than nothing can.

So NeverCeaseToCrease will be the judge for the next month challenge and will set a theme for september.
Dincolo de hârtie se ascunde o magie

My website: https://rcmorigami.wordpress.com/
Fallow me on Instagram: @rcmorigami
My Flickr page:Flickr