Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
jayhoyeol

Re: Shuki Kato's book

Post by jayhoyeol »

I wish shuki will go upload tut vids on his channel again:D Merry christmas, everyone!
cros107

Post by cros107 »

Oh boy, the book's actually being made? Good luck! I remember a loong time ago seeing your Zoanoid Dragon and being memorized by the complexity (I would've only been 10 or so :p). Obviously you won't be diagramming it (right?) but it'd be nice to see a lot of your other diagrams modeled! Will the diagrams for the Western Dragon be in the book? I know you released them for free, so...
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

This topic started nearly six years ago, my goodness how things don't usually go according to plan...The book is pretty much complete on my part, but final editing and publishing means it will still be released sometime in December.

Here is the original list of models which I thought I would include.
Super-complex
Giganotosaurus
Flying Kabutomushi or Atlas Beetle (or both? their structures are similar enough that they would share a lot of steps)
Western Dragon v1, v2, or v3 (ditto)
Asuka (needs upgrade before final diagrams)
Zoanoid Dragon (maybe...)
Evangelion unit 1
Ohmu
Guyver III

Complex
Spinosaurus (if I can update it to rival Kamiya)
Triceratops
Dragonfly
Goldfish
Flying Stag Beetle
Flying Hercules Beetle

Intermediate
Diplodocus
Dragonfly
Brachiosaurus
And of those only 6 ended up making it into the book plus 10 projects which were almost all designed after the date this topic started. of course another 5 models in the original list were diagrammed and published elsewhere. I nearly added the Atlas Beetle, but the base seemed too similar to the Kabutomushi which was published in Tanteidan 21.

So, this is finally happening! :D
origami-artist-galen

cros107 wrote:Oh boy, the book's actually being made? Good luck! I remember a loong time ago seeing your Zoanoid Dragon and being memorized by the complexity (I would've only been 10 or so :p). Obviously you won't be diagramming it (right?) but it'd be nice to see a lot of your other diagrams modeled! Will the diagrams for the Western Dragon be in the book? I know you released them for free, so...
I did consider it, updating the diagrams to the western dragon and spinosaurus for the book. But they are already widely available, so I decided against it.

As I'm sure most of you all know, the giraffe and African Elephant are in the book despite the fact those diagrams were already released for a price online. That is because the actual book deal didn't come through until after I published them on my Etsy and OUSA. I would have saved them for the book alone if I had known about all this beforehand. Nevertheless, I have upgraded both diagrams by redrawing almost every arrow and by adding more in-progress-steps.
AxolotlBottle
Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Post by AxolotlBottle »

Congratulations on finishing it! I'm glad to see that the goldfish model is included in the book because I'm a total sucker for origami fish models. I'm looking forward to purchasing the book. :D
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

Didn't Shuki Kato release a series of Origami Christmas books..??
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Andre-4 wrote:Didn't Shuki Kato release a series of Origami Christmas books..??
No. He contributed to the Annual Christmas Book on the forum. You have to submit a original, diagrammed model to receive the book.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

Well, the book is finally available for preorder, it only took me 6 years to make dating back to the first entry in this forum. :D

https://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami ... 10072.html

On a more serious note, here is a picture of the cover and the individual models.

Other details:
-16 complete diagrams
-228 pages including the first 4 for color photos
-crease patterns for earlier versions of each design (and the current ones too of course!)
-2746 total steps or an average of ~170 per model

dev1983

Post by dev1983 »

congratulations
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Hooray :D I cant wait to try some of your designs out
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Finally! I will totally buy it this Christmas
raden_pak_1217

Post by raden_pak_1217 »

I want to fold them all! Which one should I fold after I finish the simple dragon?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

raden_pak_1217 wrote:I want to fold them all! Which one should I fold after I finish the simple dragon?
Here is the order I would go: Diplodocus, Bear cub, wolf, goldfish, simple dragon. They are still difficult, good models to get you associated with Shuki's design style. As in lots of awkward sinks, closed sinks, and generally difficult or multi-step procedures. The dragonflies are just boxpleating, but you could throw them in there too for some more practice. Once you complete all those I would move onto some of the more complicated ones, like the dinosaurs or super complex animals. I'm making the camel right now, and it is a pleasure to fold!
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

With all that talk about profit at the start of this thread, I'm wondering, have you made any profit or loss off the book yet?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
origami-artist-galen

Folderp wrote:With all that talk about profit at the start of this thread, I'm wondering, have you made any profit or loss off the book yet?
I've been able to make about $5000 off of it, nothing crazy though considering how much effort was spent! :D