Very long models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Folderp

Very long models

Post by Folderp »

Hi, does anyone know of some models with insane amounts of steps (i.e. 300+). I already know of Shuki Kato's giganotosaurus (which I have) and flying kabutomushi (which I will get when I have enough money). Also, please post the number of steps it has.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Splunge

Re: Very long models

Post by Splunge »

The complex models from Satoshi Kamiya certainly qualify for this.
But how would you count the number of steps? What about a step that says "Repeat steps 84 to 143 on the other three sides"? Add 180 steps to the final step number?
And what about models like Ryujin for which only CPs exist?
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Yes, adding on to Splunge's reply, the number of steps is often determined by how lazy the author was. I know from having diagramed by hand a few of my models, I tried to cram as many folds as I could into a single diagram and only ended up with 30 or so "steps." Somebody who was diagramming with a computer might be able to take the time to draw clearer steps.

If you're looking for difficult models that take a long time, there is Robert Lang's black forest cuckoo clock with 216 steps.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Funny you should mention Lang's Black Forest Cuckoo Clock. I have a grand total of 3 (good) origami books, and ODS2 is one of them. I accept your points though, so I'll expand my query to just very complex diagrammed models (I'm still learning to fold from cps). (Just so you know, I also have Works of Satoshi Kamiya already).
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Robert Lang also has a flying samurai helmet beetle in the 1995 OUSA convention book that I think has over 300 steps. His Maine Lobster also has a very long folding sequence, though several steps are condensed into one (e.g. Sink all seven corners).
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr