How to lock a ring?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Wordgames

How to lock a ring?

Post by Wordgames »

Ive made a very generic ring model which has a large square turned through 45 degrees in the middle and a diamond pattern on the band (everyone makes this one at some point) but I cannot think of a way to lock the two ends that come together to form a ring.

Pushing one into the other means it comes out very easy and to be honest Im stuck, any ideas?

...oh and the instructions are:

1. Turn paper through 45 degrees so it appears to be a diamond.
2. Fold along one diagonal (in half).
3. Decide how wide you want the ring to be then fold the left hand side over to the right from a point half this distance from the folded diagonal.
4. Fold the top flap left against the centre line
5. Fold the paper right against the line created in 3.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you are left with a top flap which is the size you want your diamond to be or continue until the paper is all gone if you want a diamond pattern all the way around the ring.
7. Make the right hand side symetical to the left hand side.
8. Lock the model by...?

Im sure Ive seen this done before so can anyone help with step 8 please?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Fold the innermost layer once less in and out than the other layers, then tuck one side far into the other one. Lock the ring by valley folding the innermost layers inside the model all the way round.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I made some pictures of how I locked it. Here just click the "next" button at the bottom.
Hopefully, the pictures are self explanitorial.
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

My thanks to both of you, that had been irritating me all day :)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Hm, for secureness of the lock and an aesthetical look you should maybe use a combination of the two mentioned mechanisms, that should be easy to do and hold better together than only one of them.