Charging for private lessons for a family?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Charging for private lessons for a family?

Postby Gerardo » January 13th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Have any of you given and charged for private origami lessons? There's this person that's interested in group private lessons for all her nephews and nieces. I'm not sure about how to charge her.

My question is: are private lessons for a small group usually charged per student or exclusively per hour?

Thank you in advance :).
Please support Neorigami: http://neorigami.com. Share one of your own creations.
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: Charging for private lessons for a family?

Postby Ponadr » January 16th, 2019, 9:18 pm

I taught a group for an hour. $5/hr per student. There were 6 children.
Ponadr

Postby Gerardo » January 17th, 2019, 3:37 am

Thanks Ponadr, so you charged per student? Can you please explain to me the context of those classes? Where they also private lessons?
Last edited by Gerardo on January 17th, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please support Neorigami: http://neorigami.com. Share one of your own creations.
Gerardo
Buddha

Postby Ponadr » January 17th, 2019, 8:26 pm

An acquaintance wanted me to teach her children and some of their friends. It was only a one time thing.
Ponadr

Postby steingar » January 18th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Once upon a time I was asked to teach at a Bat Mitzvah. I really didn't wan to, so I just charged my normal consulting rate, which was a crapload of money. The family paid it without blinking. I make certain they got their money's worth.

These days I teach at the giant airshow in Oshkosh Wisconsin every summer. I do about an hour and a half each day for whoever shows up. Its unpaid, except my attendance fee for the event is waived, I get a T-shirt and it turns out I get fed. Not a bad gig at all.

To be honest, I'd do it without any of that stuff (I have). I just like promoting Origami.
steingar

Postby Gerardo » January 18th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Thanks for your answer steingar :).

Ponadr wrote:An acquaintance wanted me to teach her children and some of their friends. It was only a one time thing.

It's a lot more clear now. So I assume your acquaintance didn't pay for every child, just her own children. RIght? Thank you Ponadr.
Gerardo
Buddha

Postby Baltorigamist » January 19th, 2019, 1:15 am

I’ve never done private lessons myself, but I like the idea of charging per student. You don’t want to charge per hour in case it ends up taking the students a long time to master simpler folds.
To me, it’s about charging based on the controllable aspects of the lessons (i.e., the number of students). If you charge per hour, the clients could end up paying a lot more than they otherwise would, leaving them a little dissatisfied.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Baltorigamist

Postby Gerardo » January 19th, 2019, 2:01 am

What you say makes sense. Still, I wouldn't offer a class that's longer than two hours for beginners. I'd say longer than that can end up being too much for them.
Gerardo
Buddha

Postby Andre-4 » June 17th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Its also about helping those who are stuck...i dont mind paying for guidance...i have c.ps with reference points that make no sense plus a few unfinished shapings and places where i cant even get the box pleating done..
Its a great way to make money..plus you get the satisfaction of helping the pupil how to understand that half the fun is in the c.p and texture of the paper..so once you get over the nervousness of handling matter....its all uphill from there....
Andre-4

Postby Gerardo » June 17th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks Andre-4 :).
Gerardo
Buddha

Postby Andre-4 » June 17th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Gerardo wrote:Thanks Andre-4 :).

Having seen a brief reply have you any spare time to tutor me? ...im not a beginner but literally stuck here and there.....and going grey because i want to complete....
Pm me please
Andre-4

Return to General Origami Talk