Treating tissue foil with MC- Need help!!!

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Archie

Treating tissue foil with MC- Need help!!!

Post by Archie »

I have recently bought a huge haul of origami shop tissue foil; based on my last order which was smaller it was great and underrated so I decided to buy 3 packs of each size. I am deeply dissapointed, i think I have got a bad batch. 20cm to 40cm is great. 50 and 60, not so much. The cerebrus ripped 8 times and the phoenix had a big rip in the middle intersection. I'm at step 50 of nguyen hung cuongs eagle and its got a small hole in the middle intersection and a little rip at the top. Would it be possible to treat the other sheets with MC??
Baltorigamist

Re: Treating tissue foil with MC- Need help!!!

Post by Baltorigamist »

I hate to say it, but that sounds like almost every experience I've had with that paper. I've never tried to MC it, but I highly doubt it would work. You're welcome to try it, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.
You can at least chalk it up to a learning experience.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

I've used large sheets of tissue foil (60cm) three times and only one of them ripped. Be gentle with the paper, and don't put too much stress on it. Also, you can always contact Nicolas Terry, he's generally pretty helpful.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Archie

Post by Archie »

Folderp wrote:I've used large sheets of tissue foil (60cm) three times and only one of them ripped. Be gentle with the paper, and don't put too much stress on it. Also, you can always contact Nicolas Terry, he's generally pretty helpful.
Only one of my sheets has a small rip on the top where the horizontal fold is, so I guess i'll follow your advice! Nicolas said to put another bit on with mc
steingar

Post by steingar »

I've made my own for years. Aluminum foil and tissue paper, both inexpensive and widely available. I use a spray glue from 3M that is widely available for rather expensive. Works well too. I've tried a number of MC-produced tissue foils, most tear more easily than mine. Mine, on the other hand, has more memory and is less forgiving of reversed folds. It has the advantage that its super quick and really easy.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Archie wrote:I have recently bought a huge haul of origami shop tissue foil; based on my last order which was smaller it was great and underrated so I decided to buy 3 packs of each size. I am deeply dissapointed, i think I have got a bad batch. 20cm to 40cm is great. 50 and 60, not so much.
i hate to say this, because i think origami-shop is a valuable resource. but i don't think it's worthwhile to spend lots of money on paper from there.

in general, i think the "best" results really do come from hand-made papers like hanji. the "best" tissue foil really is the kind you make yourself. and it's really hard to beat double tissue--it's suitable for super complex models, and it's dirt cheap. for example, one quire (24 sheets) of satin wrap at $4.69 USD, will yield you 12 50 cm sheets. that's 39 US cents per sheet. meanwhile, one 50 cm square of the tissue foil runs $3.93 USD. for super complex models, you'll get a better result/have an easier time folding from the double tissue, so you're paying more money for an inferior medium.

sometimes i think if you want a certain effect or going for a certain look, like marbling, or cobbling, or scales, then yes, one of those textured papers on there are fine. also, it's really the only reliable place to get 35 cm squares of japanese foil, which i think is a good medium to use as tissue foil, as it offsets some of the traditional weaknesses of completely homemade tissue foil. as a comparison, each sheet from a pack of colored foil 35 cm is 60 cents/sheet, still much less than the premade tissue foil, and ultimately a better medium.
foldernin

Post by foldernin »

bethnor: Can you please share where you get your tissue paper from?

Buying tissue paper has been a pretty frustrating experience for me. I've tried several different types from local stores and Amazon, and most of them tear easily when MC'd and the colors bleed a lot (making two color paper impossible). On the plus side, I now have a lifetime supply of tissue paper for gifts and such :mrgreen:

The only ones that have worked for me are the pearlescent tissue papers (which come in very limited colors) and Unryu (a little more expensive and the large fibers make them imperfect for a lot of models).

I would love to find a good reliable source of tissue paper with the following qualities:
- comes in variety of colors
- water resistant (waxed?)
- non-bleeding
- large sizes (largest I have seen are 20", but I can always glue them to make larger sheets)
- can be bought in smaller quantities or assorted packs (only ones I have found online are available in large quantities (reams of 200+) which is way too much of a single color to buy and I don't even know if they would work well)
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

I got most of my recent tissue paper from CraftCreations (link)
It's UK based and shipping costs within Europe are acceptable. But I don't know where you come from and if it's an option for you.

However, the paper comes in various colors at a sufficiently large size. The colors don't bleed, but of course they may shine through.
You can order single sheets at a reasonable price and you can mix colors to get a quantity discount.
Contrary to the article description, all my orders have been shipped rolled on a strong cardboard-tube.

This tissue paper not water resistant and I don't think this would be helpful. You HAVE to treat tissue paper with MC to be able to fold it, unless you apply it to tinfoil. So it must be able to absorb water. Also you will probably want to join two sheets of tissue paper together. This would not be possible with waxed paper.

And yes, tissue paper is very delicate as soon as it is wet. The above tissue paper easily rips when wet and I have to admit, so far I haven't achieved wrinkle free sheets when treating it with MC.

I also applied this paper to tinfoil using special glue. The metal will shine through, depending on the paper's color.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
foldernin

Post by foldernin »

Splunge: Thanks for the response. I'm located in the US :)

I have been able to find non bleeding tissue paper here in smaller quantities and even assorted packs, but my problem was them disintegrating when they got wet. My expectation was to get wrinkle free double tissue sheets, and i was trying to gently flatten the wrinkles with my fingers. Good to know that this is not possible and I should just settle for wrinkled sheets when using this tissue paper.

You make a great point about waxed paper - it won't be very useful for making double tissue. I guess what I am looking for is tissue paper with good wet strength i.e. does not disintegrate when wet. The pearlescent tissue paper is quite strong this way and results in nice wrinkle free double tissue when MC'd.

If anyone has recommendations for where to buy tissue papers with good wet strength, please let me know :)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I’ve had acceptable results from Hallmark and American Greetings tissue paper as well as some really great results from another brand whose name I forget. (:/) Depending on the brand, you can even smooth out (almost) all the wrinkles to get a smooth square, and I’ve gotten 20” squares of smooth single tissue before.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

satinwrap has all the properties you want. it is relatively tough (compared to the hallmark tissue paper) and so generally doesn't fall apart when applying mc, the colors do not bleed, the surface is "waxy." it also comes in 20" x 30" sheets. if you join two sheets of double tissue together using gluestick, this is an easy way to get a 30" sheet. satinwrap also comes in a wide spectrum of gorgeous colors. this variety pack has lots of good colors:

https://www.amazon.com/Popular-Satin-Wr ... ay&sr=8-49

you can buy individual colors of satinwrap from a few places. the most reliable i find are papermart and fastpack.

here you can buy individual quires (each quire is 24 sheets) of the 20" x 30" tissue paper. the 20" x 26" sheets, with 10 sheets per pack, are from a different company, as far as i can tell. i haven't used them for double tissue, but they are vibrant, and i like using it for tissue foil.

here is the link to fastpack. you can buy quires (24 sheets) or whole reams (the 400). unlike papermart, which only offers some of the colors in quires, you can get any of the colors in quires from fastpack. however, the minus is that fastpack is a little more expensive.
foldernin

Post by foldernin »

This is really helpful! Thank you so much.
Going to order a quire of satin wrap to try out.