Glue to fix and stabilize an existing model?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
KGhia

Glue to fix and stabilize an existing model?

Post by KGhia »

I am not a origami maker, but I had a friend who was and she made me several pieces before she passed away. My question is this - is there a glue or spray on adhesive that I can use to fix the model in place? My swans’s neck keeps drooping and my fishes fins fall off without much provocation. The models are made from just normal school grade colored construction paper, probably 200 to 1000 pieces folded and interlocked depending on the model size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Baltorigamist

Re: Glue to fix and stabilize an existing model?

Post by Baltorigamist »

Based on your descriptions, it sounds like you’re using what’s called the “Golden Venture” method. A normal glue stick could (and would) work with construction paper, but that would be extremely tedious to carry out.
How large are your models? It might be the case that you need smaller/better paper, though I myself have never made a golden venture model. (And this forum is mainly concerned with single-sheet models.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
KGhia

Post by KGhia »

Thanks for the reply. These pieces are made of tiny squares and rectangles of paper that get folded and interlocked together, the largest piece (my swan) has about a 12 inch long neck. Your forum popped up in a google search and since I am like Jon Snow and know nothing about origami I did not realize it was devoted to a different form of the art. Please forgive the intrusion.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It's fine. As I said, a glue stick would work. (I'm not sure if construction paper would hold up to what we use here--it's called methylcellulose.)
If you ever get into single-sheet origami, now you know where to look. :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Maybe, but just maybe, transparent spray paint will work. I've used it in the past to make folds a bit stiffer. But I also
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom