PEARL CRUMPLED PAPERS

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
mrhoangtuanori

PEARL CRUMPLED PAPERS

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

A lot of you may know about Crumpled Paper and its good points in folding origami. In this post, I will tell you about another type of crumpled, which is more special and hunted by folders here, as a kind of nearly distincted paper - Pearl VOG.
Pearl VOG (Or Pearl Crumpled Paper) is a nice, strong and rare paper to be born in China for the first purpose of gift wrapping. Square sheet (usually in 64x64cm) contains a side of crumpled paper and the rest side is painted with pearl. This process brings delicate pattern onto the piece and give it crispiness.
In Vietnam, Pearl Crumpled is a famous kind of folding paper due to its trength and low price (0.66 US $ - Now sold in my shop: Hoangtuanorigamishop.etsy.com ). 4-10 years ago, Pearl crumpled and printed crumpled were the most well-known in VIETNAM, parallel to Dó. It could be used on the simplest to the most complex models. From the traditional cranes to Ryujin folders' favorite papers, it could be used nicely.
The sad new, is that it is now disappearing because of lacks of workers and papers companies. I am doing our best to looking for sources currenly and lucky for me, I found out a great deal of it from an old paper store in the Chinese village. I decide to sell them at the lowest cost at possible (the lowest in any origami shop world-wide) and I do cut it in square at 60x60 for all of us can use this legendary paper.

You can see the papers here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/607689992/ ... pled-paper

Plus: Buy with diagram and you will have the freeship mode, see detailed promotion here: https://www.facebook.com/13860057916200 ... 685558449/
Last edited by mrhoangtuanori on May 13th, 2019, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaito Kid

Re: PEARL CRUMPLED PAPERS

Post by Kaito Kid »

Heard of it, but couldnt afford to buy it from Origami-shop.com cuz it is too costly, 7.99€ per sheet is so expensive @@.
I'm glad to have such shop like yours, will support you soon. Love the Vietnamese papers. Nice dedication (y)
mrhoangtuanori

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

Thank you :D just let me know if you want to have some
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

Is this paper less likely to rip than normal crumpled paper? I have a ton of crumpled paper that I bought from DHgate or somewhere like that and anytime i try to fold it it rips wherever there's a small amount of stress or lots of creases that need to be reversed multiple times. I think maybe my paper is just really old though and deteriorating
mrhoangtuanori

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

Yes it is, more crisper but stronger.
Because of 2 factors:
1. The pearl side makes it stronger (+2 gsm)
2. Most crumpled paper rips now because it is made using the new recipe, which people put more paper pulp and less cellulose glue. The original sheets of crumpled were made by a unique rate of pulp/glue, so they got more crumpled pattern but stronger.
Pearl crumpled is not like that, because they dont make them anymore now, so there are not any new recipe applied on them, they are all old and good.
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

Oh sounds great that must explain it, because I've seen people fold really complex things with the crumpled paper before that my paper would definitely tear doing so. I might get some soon I just ordered some Do paper from your shop I'm excited to try it!
mrhoangtuanori

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

Thank you so much @FOLDSKATE, I like giving my experiences of every papers I tried, to everyone :D . Cuz it is so lonely to be an origamist in Vietnam
blossom22lhk

Post by blossom22lhk »

Hi @mrhoangtuanori I was wondering if you are still selling the paper anywhere. I am looking to buy this paper but I couldn't find your paper on Etsy anymore. Thank you!