MC substitutes for double tissue

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
mhlinfinity

MC substitutes for double tissue

Post by mhlinfinity »

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on these forums for many many years, and it has been a really good resource, especially for more complex models/folding.

I have been wanting to try double tissue for a long while now, but never really got around to doing it due to the inconvenience compared to other papers. Right now though I think I would like to finally get started. I cant seem to find MC paste locally, and the nearest I can find at an art store is this: https://www.amaco.com/products/powder-rice-paste-8-oz

Unfortunately there isnt an ingredient list that I can check against. Would any of you have used this before, and do you know if its a suitable substitutes for MC paste? I would like to buy from a physical shop if possible for the speed/convenience. Thanks in advance!
Baltorigamist

Re: MC substitutes for double tissue

Post by Baltorigamist »

See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14847 for information on MC substitutes. You can also use Elmer’s art paste if that’s available where you live.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mhlinfinity

Post by mhlinfinity »

Thanks I have, and also taken note of it for future reference. Would still like to know if anyone has had experience with the rice paste powder though, if not for a first attempt I'll probably still purchase MC paste online otherwise.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I've got no experience with rice paste, it sounds suitable though. Have you tried getting in contact with local folders? Maybe they can help you regarding where to get materials. MC is often sold at places that sell wall paints or home improvement stuff. I saw places in Malaysia and Laos that sold it, so I'm pretty sure, there will be similar shops in Singapore too.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

I have used rice flour to produce tissue - foil -tissue, and it works. I have not tried it yet to produce double tissue without foil.
mhlinfinity

Post by mhlinfinity »

Thanks origami_8 and origami_hunt. Yup I will continue to look around, I believe that some shops should carry it, probably under a different name. Might give the rice paste a go as well. Cheers!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, I guess if you go to a shop and ask for MC nobody will know what you are talking about. On the other hand if you ask for wallpaper paste, chances they know what you want, are higher. It is basically the same stuff used for Papier-mâché and to attach big advertisements or wallpapers to walls.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Pva or Elmer's glue mixed with water can work.
But if you want mc, Amazon has it. Also, most hardware stores and paint stores have it in stock in the wallpaper section. I also find it at local photography shops, not for sale but when you tell them what it is for they are more than happy to give you some since they usually have a big bag of it and we only use a tiny bit. Try to stay away from the wheat based mc, bugs like to eat the models used with that.