How to make Single Tissue Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
luscaspn

How to make Single Tissue Paper

Post by luscaspn »

Hello guys, lately I've been very addicted on insects models, and some people have told me that one of the best paper to use for insects is: Single tissue treated with MC, however, when I tried to do this at home, the results were far from satisfying... I used a standart portion of water/mc but the paper that i got wasnt crisp, or any good to fold anything, it was quite shiny on the side that touched the glass but wasnt good anyway. I watched a video from Fearless Flourish where he sells some really good quality single tissue and really far from what i managed to make. Can I get some recomendations or tips? Thank you
FoldSkate

Re: How to make Single Tissue Paper

Post by FoldSkate »

Single tissue will just feel like that usually, it feels like almost unsized tissue paper while folding, up until the end where it becomes really easy to shape and thing the legs for insects. When I make single tissue i also usually add 2 or 3 coats of mc and let it dry completely inbetween the coats.
The "gucci" tissue that fearless flourish makes i think involves some type of spray coat that makes both sides shiny instead of just one side, but that is just my guess.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

A lot depends on the brand of tissue you use as well. I haven't tried all of them by any means, but several brands shred when wet. The only one I've had success with is American Greetings red and green (though I've also had mixed success with Hallmark's silver and black).

FoldSkate, I like your idea of adding multiple coats of MC--I'll have to try that.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
luscaspn

Post by luscaspn »

I have no issues with tearing, Im actually really proud of my local tissue paper properties, what i wanted to ask is how can i get a crispier result xD, I might change my MC brand and buy some Metylan Norma...
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

hmm, i think the key may be in fact in letting one coat dry before adding the others. it's the "back and forth" that usually causes tears.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

What brand is it?

There’s a thread here about alternatives to MC, so maybe try one of those posted.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr