Publish an origami tutorial book or make video better?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiMonsters

Publish an origami tutorial book or make video better?

Post by OrigamiMonsters »

Hey guys, is it better to make video on YouTube or publish a book to teach your own origami videos with some profit?

I wanted to publish a book for long but some of my characters are movie and game based, so those consider derivative artwork and can’t be published in book form which is sad for me because the book took me years to make…

If I start a YouTube channel, higher chances I can monetise my tutorial videos of these copyrighted characters but I wonder if anyone of you did that but get copyright infringement?

Do I hold my origami creation copyright if I show how to make them on YouTube? Will someone publish my model in book or make another videos? Anyone experienced this?

Sorry to sound like I care about money more than the art, I’m not, I want to share, but I’m not rich, if I can make some extra income from it, I want to.
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: Publish an origami tutorial book or make video better?

Post by Gerardo »

Hi OrigamiMonsters. These are the only questions I can answer from your list:
OrigamiMonsters wrote:Do I hold my origami creation copyright if I show how to make them on YouTube? Will someone publish my model in book or make another videos? Anyone experienced this?
Although many origamists consider it against the law, others have made and posted their own origami instructional videos based on preexisting ones and, even after a claim from the original video author on YouTube, the company didn't remove said videos.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

If I start a YouTube channel, higher chances I can monetise my tutorial videos of these copyrighted characters but I wonder if anyone of you did that but get copyright infringement?

Do I hold my origami creation copyright if I show how to make them on YouTube? Will someone publish my model in book or make another videos? Anyone experienced this?
Someone will undoubtedly redistribute your work in one form or another, it has been happening since the dawn of time. Please dont let this discourage your creative energies. If this is a concern, I think you will have stronger recourse if you publish in the printed format.
Petri

Post by Petri »

I'd like to expand this topic to general copyrights and YouTube videos.

This is an interesting question and I confronted it on one of the Facebook origami groups.
Someone shared a YouTube link to the group with Christmas tree instructions and got a comment on how (s)he didn't have to rights to the model.
I was wondering that can you make YouTube videos, tutorials or other, with non-original origami? If I want to make the classic crane, who has the rights? Who designed it? Can I buy Akira Yoshizawa's book and present those models on YouTube with just mention that he designed it?
I know that a lot of people do that but is it right or is it even against the copyright law?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The thing to consider here is less the law, because there are no clear rules when it comes to Origami and so far no one went the way to the courtroom, it is more about courtesy. Most authors will happily give their permission if you ask them kindly whether you can make an instructional video. Sara Adams even has a list on her homepage https://www.happyfolding.com/ of authors who gave or denied her permission. A short question doesn't hurt and you are on the save side.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Petri wrote:If I want to make the classic crane, who has the rights?
The traditional crane is part of the public domain since it has existed for so long. I'd say the answer to your question depends on what kind of rights are you referring to. If you're talking about copyright, then it would depend on if you do make that crane (not just want to make it) and if you make it in such a way that turns it recognizably unique, then you would have the copyright over exclusively those elements that makes it unique, but not over the fact it's a traditional origami crane. Now, this can depend on what country you're from, in what country you make the crane, and what are the copyright laws of those your countries and if they're part of any intellectual property law treatises.

But if you're referring to material rights as a physical object of your ownership like when you buy a book, then once again it depends on if you actually make the crane (instead of wanting to make it) and the details of the particular situation regarding who owns the crane. Did you agree with someone to make it for that person? Did you offered it to someone as a gift? Did you make it with someone else's paper?

Petri wrote:Can I buy Akira Yoshizawa's book and present those models on YouTube with just mention that he designed it?
I personally am in favor of the answer from the lawyer hired by OrigamiUSA:
10. May I display in origami shows and other public forums an origami figure I folded using instructions or diagrams provided by the owner of such instructions who is also the owner of the copyright to the figure itself?

Normally, yes, as there is implied consent by the owner of the instruction or diagrams for the person doing the folding to own the resulting figure. If the owner has specifically reserved public display rights to himself or herself in a lawful contract or license to the folding person, then the display right is not accorded to the person doing the folding
Source: https://origamiusa.org/files/OrigamiUSA ... %20FAQ.pdf

One more thing I think it's important for me to mention, I had posted the following:
Gerardo wrote:Although many origamists consider it against the law, others have made and posted their own origami instructional videos based on preexisting ones and, even after a claim from the original video author on YouTube, the company didn't remove said videos.
My perspective on this is that YouTube simply doesn't uphold origami copyright in cases like teaching how to fold someone else's model. Situation I'm against of.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

For traditional models you don't need permission to make videos, diagrams, teach, or just fold them. They are in the public domain.

For models by an author you should seek permission when teaching them in a larger setting or doing a video. If you want to publish diagrams, you definitely need to get the permission from the author first.

That being said, there have been no lawsuits regarding Origami and most interpretations on the subject lean on what is common with other arts, crafts, music and so on. But whenever you are in doubt, try to seek permission from the author. Most Origami creators are really friendly and approachable.
steingar

Post by steingar »

This is getting specious. Most traditional models have so many diagrams and video tutorials than you can't help but trip over them. Why make more? Just to make videos?

If the OP really wants to make money, he or she should try their local fast food franchise. They'll earn more, lots more.

Steingar, the guy who published two Origami books and would have made more money flipping burgers at Micky D's.