Worried about how non-origamists take origami gifts home

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Gerardo
Buddha

Worried about how non-origamists take origami gifts home

Post by Gerardo »

Hi everyone! So, have you given a fold (folded model) as a gift to a non-origamist? Do you, like me, worry about their lack of measures to take them home? I usually assume the worst, for example, that that person will place the fold unprotected inside of something like their backpack—with all their other stuff—and expect it to arrive safe and sound to their destination :?.

So I wanted to know if you also thought about that as you made a fold for a non-origamist or if it was just me. When I make an origami gift I tend to think about how to protect it so that that person can take it home: a box, a sturdy shopping bag, between two sheets of cardboard if it's a flat model, etc.

I just folded two medium-sized boxes as gifts, from a 90 g/m² squares, and filled with twelve big chocolate bonbons. The problem is that the bonbons are heavy enough to bend and wrinkle the boxes if they're placed incorrectly. 90 g/m² wasn't heavy enough :o! So now I'm adding—in a non-origamistic fashion—folding boxboard reinforcements inside them, so they can resist some pressure during their respective trips.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Worried about how non-origamists take origami gifts home

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I haven't given away anything that was super delicate or super large. Most of the things I've given away are small models folded from printer paper or 5cm squares, which to me don't mean much but other people seem to like them anyways.

From what I've seen, it's almost the opposite of what you describe. I often leave these small models in my pockets or whatever and find it the next day to be a bit squished or crumpled. On the other hand, one time when I gave a friend a Maekawa peacock, they were so afraid to open up the tail they thought it was gonna fall apart if they pulled too hard because it was so detailed.

I suppose it would be a different story if I were giving away complex models that I put a lot more time into. Or 3d models that are hard to fix if they get squished, like Robert Lang's ruby throated hummingbird or Kamiya's tree frog for example.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

WOW... you and I have very different expectations and practices regarding our folds and origami gifts for non-origamists. I mostly assume that if I give the fold to someone without any protection, that person won't have a box or something for it and won't want to hold it in their hands the whole way to his or her home; especially if that person has to take a bus for example.

It isn't related to origami, but I remember a friend taking out from her backpack a very squished Homer Simpson head made from modeling clay. She just said it was a gift from a friend when she took it out :o!

I simply thought that that was horrible :cry:.
steingar

Post by steingar »

All Origami gifts are ensconced in their own Origami box. Problem solved.
Froy

Post by Froy »

No matter what all models will fall to any kind of wear. Humidity, gravity, dust. etc. It is part of the nature of this art. Unless you keep them in a vacuum sealed case. I see this as a intrinsic part of origami. No model will last forever in a pristine condition.

I often give all models without any box. Only models that take me to fold more than a couple of weeks are presented in a box. Out of that I use no box to see how careful people is :-P
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

steingar wrote:All Origami gifts are ensconced in their own Origami box. Problem solved.
What are you saying? That that's what you always do when you give a fold as a gift to someone? Hmmm :-k... if it were my case, I would then have to see how to make the origami box sturdy enough.

Froy wrote:No matter what all models will fall to any kind of wear. Humidity, gravity, dust. etc. It is part of the nature of this art. Unless you keep them in a vacuum sealed case. I see this as a intrinsic part of origami. No model will last forever in a pristine condition.
I get what you're saying and I can see from your answer that you have given it some thought :). I get that models will deteriorate with time, but it's important for me that they at least arrive safe and sound to their destination. They can start deteriorating after that ;).

Froy wrote:I often give all models without any box. Only models that take me to fold more than a couple of weeks are presented in a box. Out of that I use no box to see how careful people is :-P
I did that recently but it was part of an intervention... it was pretty fun. I gave an envelope with a one-page text and an origami fold with volume inside. The text was about how origamists see folds in opposition to non-origamists. It was strongly based on the discussion on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14498

I wanted to make the receivers think about what they would do with the fold after reading the text :).
steingar

Post by steingar »

Gerardo wrote:
steingar wrote:All Origami gifts are ensconced in their own Origami box. Problem solved.
What are you saying? That that's what you always do when you give a fold as a gift to someone? Hmmm :-k... if it were my case, I would then have to see how to make the origami box sturdy enough.
Yes, every gift comes in it's own custom Origami box. Boxes are all made out of thicker paper, old calendars or scrapbooking paper. They are quite sturdy, and do a nice job of dressing up said regalos. And folding boxes is fun in the book of Steingar.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

I see! Thank you for your answer steingar :). I agree, I also have a lot of fun folding boxes. As I mentioned on the first post, my gift were origami boxes. I ended up putting them inside plastic bags tied with a knot (it has been raining a lot lately) and I placed that bag inside a thick paper shopping bag.

I usually don't put origami gifts inside origami containers, but that's just me ;). If the gift is an origami fold then I put it inside a non-origami container, but if the gift is something different then I'll usually "wrap" it inside origami.
sattej

Post by sattej »

I never trust a person to transport an origami model without giving it to them in a rigid cardboard box, surrounded and supported by acid-free tissue.

Rant: It's important to me that it makes it to its destination without getting squished or malformed, because I want for it to look like I envisioned it when it is placed in their home/elsewhere. I spend too much time on models to tolerate them getting smashed in the last 20 minutes of transport, it makes the entire process seem like a complete f***ing waste of my time and energy. If I knew that someone had mistreated a model which I had folded in that way, I would accept it and move on, but I probably wouldn't bother to get that person anything nice (or at all) for the rest of our respective lives. But by the same token I don't want to set them up for failure.

Non-Rant Detail: Cardboard box is great structurally, but for the most part are not acid free. So I throw in some kinda gently squished acid-free tissue (I use Kimberly-Clark 'Kimwipes' because some idiot at my work bought a 500-year supply) to the bottom and walls of the box, and often one or more placed inside any major cavities of the model, then a couple more on top. The result is pretty sturdy, you can agitate it quite roughly and be fairly ignorant in transport, and when the new owner unpackages it, it will still look great.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

We think alike then! Although you're A LOT more cautious than me :-o.
sattej

Post by sattej »

Haha you're too kind! :) Cautious is a good word for it. I would admit to worse descriptions. But yeah, I usually make finalized models that I give to people using nice papers, often Origamido, and haven't dry-only folded a model I've given to someone in the last eight years. Particularly when bothering with wet folding a project and giving so much attention to shaping, it bends me out of shape, when my models have been bent out of shape :\
hamedi69

Post by hamedi69 »

Gerardo wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:20 pm Hi everyone! So, have you given a fold (folded model) as a gift to a non-origamist? Do you, like me, worry about their lack of measures to take them home? I usually assume the worst, for example, that that person will place the fold unprotected inside of something like their backpack—with all their other stuff—and expect it to arrive safe and sound to their destination :?.

So I wanted to know if you also thought about that as you made a fold for a non-origamist or if it was just me. When I make an origami gift I tend to think about how to protect it so that that person can take it home: a box, a sturdy shopping bag, between two sheets of cardboard if it's a flat model, etc.

I just folded two medium-sized boxes as gifts, from a 90 g/m² squares, and filled with twelve big chocolate bonbons. The problem is that the bonbons are heavy enough to bend and wrinkle the boxes if they're placed incorrectly. 90 g/m² wasn't heavy enough :o! So now I'm adding—in a non-origamistic fashion—folding boxboard reinforcements inside them, so they can resist some pressure during their respective trips.
Yes, each present is delivered in a unique Origami box. All boxes are constructed from heavier paper, recycled calendars, or scrapbooking paper. They do a fantastic job of sprucing up said regalos and are fairly durable. And in Steingar's book, folding boxes is enjoyable. :)