A More Efficient Way to Diagram Complex Models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Ponadr

A More Efficient Way to Diagram Complex Models

Post by Ponadr »

Wrote a blog post on a new diagramming technique. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.josephhwangorigami.com/blog ... lex-models.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: A More Efficient Way to Diagram Complex Models

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

That's really clever, like a cross between a crease pattern and step by step instructions. I suppose that's ideal for 22.5 degree models, since box pleated ones can be folded from cp pretty easily. Nevertheless, I will keep that in mind next time I want to diagram. Thank you for sharing!
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

You probably know about it already: there have been a few attempts in this field (some call it PCP, progressive crease-pattern) - but none has gone very far AFAIK.

Some examples on this page, search for "Progressive CP" to go to some linked resources (a few links are dead though).
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, that's basically PCP what never really took of. Thing is you are either experienced enough to fold from Crease Pattern, then you don't need a step by step guide (although it can be helpful to figure out some specific elements and references) or you aren't experienced enough to fold from Crease Pattern, then you will be overwhelmed by partial Crease Patterns too.
In some books I've seen PCP lead to a base with either step by step diagrams once you have the base, or nothing afterwards, so you can figure out the shaping on your own.
In my experience PCP drastically decreases the likelihood that other folders fold the model, even though it might be tempting to skip the hard work of diagramming for a more time efficient short cut.
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

I think this method looks great - while certainly more difficult to fold than form diagrams for beginners, I can also see how it can be a lot more useful than a simple CP. It allows the collapse to be broken up into multiple steps: first, you can collapse a simplified version of the base, then add refinements (like your folding of the legs in the goat).

Sometimes crease patterns can be quite confusing as they try to include all these refinements. This also makes the collapse more challenging, as you are collapsing straight to the refined version of the base instead of collapsing to the simpler version and then adding refinements through folding like you do with regular diagrams.

Your 'condensed diagramming' seem like a good way of overcoming this difficulty. It may not be something that is always worth it compared to a CP or diagrams, but for some models, I think it could be very helpful.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

I tend to agree with Merlin here. I for one, being not hugely experienced at collapsing crease patterns, would benefit immensely from this sort of thing. It would be a big help in learning how to fold models from crease patterns, especially 22.5 degree models. And having it include simple base, full base and refined base separately would be a huge help, even if it was only 3 or 4 steps (plus finding basic reference points). Your target audience may be a bit smaller, but it would be a really good resource for anyone who wants to learn how to collapse from crease patterns.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

This seems like a good idea for designers who want to diagram complex designs but don't know the steps they took. I assume that PCP stands for Partial Crease Pattern?
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Progressive Crease Pattern
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

Oh....
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.