Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origamibrent814

Ancient Dragon

Post by origamibrent814 »

I am getting Satoshi Kamiya's book and I can't wait to make the Ancient Dragon. I want to ask those who have finished it what kind of paper they suggest I use for my first attempt, How big, and Where to get it in the U.S.

Thanks
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

Basically the largest, strongest piece of paper you can lay your hands on.

Chances are it will have to be one of those DIY jobs, that said I have seen one made from gift-wrap!

If it wasn’t so time intensive there is probably a market for Pre-MC-foil backed-tissue foil or such within the origami community... any entrepreneurs around ;)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Well, I have always used tissue foil. the first time I folded it was with 12 inch foil....too small for good details. the next time I glued two sheets of foil together which worked alot better, I don't know what the size was exactly, but I think it was around 50 CM (recomended starting size).

To Wordgames: I have always thought that there would be a market for pre-sized paper, tissue foil, and the like. As you said though, it does take a while to make each sheet so pricing would be high. Everybody can make their own anyway....but there might be some who would buy alot at once because they are to lazy :)
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

you should use special good handmake paper not the foil (you know?)
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

For your first attempt, use the biggest sheet of paper you can find.
Giftwrap should be perfect.

I only got 1 tear while doing the head portion....nasty!
nvadragon

Post by nvadragon »

can you share me this diagram (ancient dragon)
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

nvadragon wrote:can you share me this diagram(ancient dragon)
Please see the forum rules.
viewtopic.php?t=589
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

The kamiya work book it possible by here
http://www.origamihouse.jp/book/origina ... amiya.html

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

sometimes i have my reservations about paying (to clarify the alternative, check out of library) for diagrams, especially for books that will only get read once... but kamiya's work is well deserved to be payed for. (hehe even if the common mortal cannot complete the whole thing :) )

and rockman .. i agree, handmade paper is the way to go.. it seems that while tissue foil is easy to fold and retains shape etc, i've never liked the way a model looks with that material. it just is complex with no soul almost. and it is almost "too" easy to use (not to say anyone who uses it is wrong)

it just doesnt have the same character as other papers

now.. lets see who can take a roll of carpet and make a gigantic origami ancient dragon... that would be crazyness
polop

Post by polop »

I am almost all the way through the dragon (about to start the legs) and it seems to turn out so much smaller than I expected. I am using a large sheet (65cm) of hand made washi. I recommend something on the lines of this paper because all the other papers I have used I faled on the ultra fiddley head section, which I have already done on this attempt. wooo :D
BigFIFan

Post by BigFIFan »

I'm headed to the art store tomorrow. Can anybody recommend good paper types and sizes I should use for this dragon?
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

I suggest that you use big paper (unless you want your dragon to be small) and by using big paper it is easier to add details and make the model. You should use thin paper but not to thin that it rips because that causes disaster. You should get alot of paper because you are probaly not going to make this dragon in one try and you probaly don't want to go to the art store every try.

Good luck!
MrBluePie

Post by MrBluePie »

polop wrote:I am almost all the way through the dragon (about to start the legs) and it seems to turn out so much smaller than I expected. I am using a large sheet (65cm) of hand made washi. I recommend something on the lines of this paper because all the other papers I have used I faled on the ultra fiddley head section, which I have already done on this attempt. wooo :D
How do you make washi?
~~~~~~~~
Mr. BluePie
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

In theory, you make washi from various bark fibers that are stripped, bleached, boiled in dye, etc. In practice, you buy washi from an art store, perhaps online.

For the ancient dragon, I agree with those who said earlier that you want the largest, strongest piece of paper you can get your hands on. Certainly don't start with anything like kami or even 9" japanese foil.

Gift wrap paper might turn out a finished model that resembles the picture in the book, if you use a large piece and are very skilled and patient. And careful not to tear it. (My first attempt with a 15" square of foil-backed wrapping paper ended in shredded frustration somewhere around step 180. Even if I'd been more careful, the final model would probably not have held its form well.)

Tissue foil or a good quality handmade paper are most likely to yield a satisfying result. My second and third attempts used 18" tissue foil and turned out adequate.

[img]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3258/dragons1cm2.jpg[/img]
Tissue foil -- the best thing since sliced bread.
MrBluePie

Post by MrBluePie »

I just attempted this using my own tissue foil, and let's say, don't waste your time with the tissue foil. All of the precreasing was completely useless cause by the time I started folding, all of the creases I needed were pressed out from other creases. Spent an hour on that thing too :(
~~~~~~~~
Mr. BluePie