Hideo Komatsu

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
TheRealChris

Hideo Komatsu

Post by TheRealChris »

can anybody provide me with some information about this wonderful artist? I mean, where does he come from, what's his job and how old is he. Can somebody point me to online info? please only in english or german, because I don't speak any other languages.

thanks in advance

- Christian
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I used babel fish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) to translate, I went to the first link on his site and went down to profile, and also the "more" link.

In a summary (the best I can make out): He was born in 1977. He started folding around 3 years of age. I believe it says his early works were influnced by Kawai,Yukata, and Akira from some books he had, but most of the models he made were lost or destroyed, but there is a link to some surviving diagrams he drew. In 4th grade he found a book (probably Viva Origami) by Kunihiko Kasahara's book that had Maekawa's demon in it, and he had a hard time folding it. In junior high he got the rest of the series and studied them, folding not only the complex ones, but also the simple ones. In April of 1993 he joined the "Japanese time paper association" (JOAS?) He bought all the back issues avaliable. I believe it says that at the time Maekawa's models were a big influence to him. In (I think) the 3rd year of high school, he had an origami displays during a cultural festival (he has a link to some pictures), and it says he went to the convention in 1996. After that he worked on developing his own style, and was also invited to the OUSA convention in 1998.

I could not find any info on his place of work, but he does alot, especially in diagramming, at JOAS.

I hope that helps, enjoy :)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

thanks a lot Joe, that was really interesting. Komatsu is one of the best creators, I really love his work :)

- Christian
BigFIFan

Post by BigFIFan »

Hideo's models are very unique. All his animals are made very geometric with sharp angles yet they emote more personality than many animals folded to look rounded. It's really quite something.
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

I once wrote Komatsu an email.

He replied telling me I could ask him what I wanted, but since his English is not very good, I should not wait for a very long and detailed reply. I sent him an email with questions, and I am still waiting for an answer :-(