Recommend any books

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
kingdomwinds

Recommend any books

Post by kingdomwinds »

I plan to order Origami Fantasy. What are other good Origami books besides all of the Origami house books. I am only interested in complex origami. Modular or geometric does not interest me.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

What books do you already have?

If you haven't already gotten it, you may want to check out Origami Design Secrets by R. Lang.

Also, be sure to get Origami Insects II (also from origami house) by R. Lang as well as "The Works of Satoshi Kamiya" (origami house).
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i only got origami tanteidan #5 and #7. thanks for the recommendations

Also, is there a book that has Maekawa's devil besides the discontinued origami tanteidan mags and books? I really wanted to fold that model
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

If you're okay with books that have a fair mixture of complex and easy stuff, you may also want to get:

Origami Insects and their Kin (R. Lang)
Origami Sea Life (R. Lang and Montroll)
Origami from Angelfish to Zen (P. Engel)
Complete book of Origami (R. Lang)

RE: Maekawa's Devil
Hmm... I don't know of any other publications that carry this. Sorry. :-)
Perhaps the other forum members can answer this.

Anyway, you may want to try Hugo Pereira's implementation of Maekawa's Devil based on the CP:

http://hugo.pereira.free.fr/origami.html
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

thanks for that devil diagram. it is pretty close to the original. I think im out of luck if i want maekawa's devil. Viva origami and origami tanteidan book #1 or magazine 56 have it but all are discontinued.

Post by avatar »

Mythological Creatures and the Chinese Zodiac in Origami by John Montroll. It is good.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

And don't forget the books available in Nicolas Terry's Shop.

Passion Origami by Nicolas Terry
Origami para Interpretes by Roman Diaz
the two books by Manuel Sirgo
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i just ordered origami fantasy and works of satoshi kamiya from sasugabooks. Hope they don't take forever to ship. Passion origami looks great but it seems to be really expensive to get. $70 for the book and $30 for shipping. Ouch. Is this book ever going to be in the USA? Id rather buy it in state to save money.

What paper is recommended for complex models? I know that im going to need large paper. I just don't know what kind and where to buy good folding paper.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I think you must have read something wrong.
The book "Passion Origami" costs 24.5 Euros which is about 30 Dollars and shipping varies depending on where you are, but it's like 10 EUR/13 USD to the US.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Depends what you like to fold.

Books that should be in anyones collection include:

Origami Design Secrets - Robert J. Lang
Origami from Angelfish to Zen : Folding the Universe - Peter Engel
Origami Secrets - Robert Harbin
Origami for the Connoisseur - Kunihiko Kasahara
Teach Yourself Origami - John Montroll (or any of his other books)
Teach Yourself Origami - Robert Harbin

All of these teach you how to fold, to varying levels. Their age varies greatly, so the techniques in the Harbin books will vary from those in the Lang book. However, read all of these, and you will learn a lot about paperfolding.

Other books that you may or may not have come across are:
Origamido - Michael LaFosse (mostly photos)
Advanced Origami - Michael LaFosse (mostly techniques)
Brilliant Origami - David Brill

Regards,
Fishy
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i mostly fold complex models. I like the challenge of folding them. Origami fantasy came on Saturday and it is an amazing book. The only bad thing is that instructions are in japanese and certain steps are confusing. English instructions would have made this book perfect.

Works of satoshi kamiya has not arrived yet but i cannot wait to fold the ancient dragon.
David

Post by David »

kingdomwinds wrote:i mostly fold complex models. I like the challenge of folding them.
Do not forget the BOS booklet No 10 Neal Elias 1964-1973
This is the first use of box pleating that many of the ultra complex models use today- it is a lot cheaper than the other books- and you will be challenged!!!
check out Origamidatabase.com for images and listings

Also Albertino's Origamania is available as a free download from Nicolas Terry's site passionorigami.com
Again this is not so easy a book, with many very interesting and unique folding methods, again most of the models are on the origamdatabase.

I have mentioned this before on another post, do not assume "non" complex models are easier or less of a challenge, both Dave Brill's Brilliant Origami and Micheal LaFosse's Advanced Origami require a lot of skill to get the models to look right.

Take a look at some of the pictures of finished models on origamidatabase.com to see what I mean.

I am usually dissapointed with the finshed results of the ultra complex stuff- too many layers, too thick in places, no character to the model, etc.