Origami Roses - Read Me!

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
DarquePheonix

Origami Roses - Read Me!

Post by DarquePheonix »

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie on this website and I've been trying to make the famous Kawasaki rose for a girl at school as a surprise but I'm having trouble with it. I've been following the diagram off of Joseph Wu's website and steps 1-24 is very easy but when i get to step 25 everything just falls apart.

I was wondering if any of you pros can help me out with this step or point me to a much better looking rose, I would appreciate it very much.

Also, what type of paper would suit this project because I've only been using construction paper and typing paper.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

welcome to the board Image

I don't know which version of the rose you mean, but you should check out that page:

http://www.cattail.nu/rose/rose.html

it could answer some of your questions :)

Christian
DarquePheonix

Post by DarquePheonix »

thanks for the reply :D
i'm not savvy on the different types of rose there are but the one i'm doing was diagrammed by winson chan.
Lee180Harris

Post by Lee180Harris »

Hi, I am also a new folder. I have a few books that I have bought and am just learning to fold. I find it great though that even a few simple folds can create something that looks so great. I hope other users won't some of the simple questions which I no doubt will ask in the future.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

the rose with the diagonal creases is a little harder than the old one. maybe you should try out the simple rose first.
clear diagrams are inside "origami for the connoisseur" ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 09-9493456 )

Christian
OrigamiNewbie

Post by OrigamiNewbie »

so, im trying to follow this diagram:

http://www.progonos.com/furuti/Origami/ ... 20902a.pdf

but steps 8-9 of this instruction are hard for me, i just can't figure out how to make the cylindrical shape i'm supposed to get. does anyone have any tips i could use?

much appreciated
elf

Post by elf »

Are you picking the model up, off the table? That's the only way to complete the fold and get that cylinder...

I do one side at a time, all four, and then fold them all together to make the cylndrical shape...

Good luck!
Rockman000

Post by Rockman000 »

I am following Winson Chan's model of the Kawasaki Rose and I love how it looks. I want to try wet folding one but I can't seem to find the right paper, elephant hide or Wyndstone Paper. I'm at New York.

Allen
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Rockman000 wrote:I want to try wet folding one but I can't seem to find the right paper, elephant hide or Wyndstone Paper. I'm at New York.
Try looking for Canson or Strathmore papers. They're heavy weight papers and can be wetfolded fairly nicely. Most craft stores like Michael's or AC Moore's should have them. I don't know about NYC, but if you're in upstate NY, the only way (as far as I know) to get elephant hide is through online order.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Rockman000 wrote:I am following Winson Chan's model of the Kawasaki Rose and I love how it looks. I want to try wet folding one but I can't seem to find the right paper, elephant hide or Wyndstone Paper. I'm at New York.
New York Central Art Supply in Manhattan carries elephant hide.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

BigFIFan wrote:I have seen Winston Chan's New Rose diagrams on Joseph Wu's website for years and years and have yet to fold it. To be honest, the folding sequence has turned me away. The fact that the square is folded into a grid makes me worry that the final model will result in a criss-crossed rose and look very unappealing.

Are my fears founded? I've seen pictures of the rose folded and haven't noticed the gridwork on the final result. I'm very intersted in everybody's comments on this sucker. Convince me to fold it!
First of all, there's an error in those diagrams. Caveat emptor. Second, the grid shows or doesn't show depending on the paper you use. Softer paper results in a barely visible grid which does not detract from the beauty of the rose. And it is definitely more beautiful than the one in Origami for the Connoisseur.

Note that Kawasaki's version of the diagrams for this rose appear, along with several other roses he's designed, in his book, Bara to origami to suugaku to (Roses, Origami, & Mathematics).
BigFIFan

Post by BigFIFan »

Thanks for the info! I've been eyeing Roses, Origami and Mathematics for a couple days because it contained the new rose diagrams. What other diagrams are in the book, if you know? And what's the error in the Chan diagrams?
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

So the English version of Rose, Origami and Mathematics has finally been released.

I think it contains diagrams for two roses - the new rose and a tubular one with small colour-changed leaves.

Here are a couple of links to descriptions of the original Japanese version of the book:
David Lister
HATORI Koshiro

I don't know for sure if the new English version has exactly the same diagrams.

The new rose is also diagrammed in Kawasaki's Origami Dream World: Flowers and Animals, along with the one minute rose. There's a description of this book - and some photos of the models - at Gilad Aharoni's site.
Link
You might be able to order it from Sasuga Books or Kim's Crane.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

The mistake in the Chan diagrams is in step 24, by the way. The new creases in that step all need to be shifted southeast by one square, if that makes sense.
BigFIFan

Post by BigFIFan »

Thank you very much for the info, JMcK!