Possible Rose Stem

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
cluc

Possible Rose Stem

Post by cluc »

Yes another Rose topic... But about the Stem.

I've been looking at the original crease pattern of the Rose stem; the one with the stem and 3 leafs...

I think many of yous who wanted to create the stem have tried it out.

And after looking at the threads in the forum, no one really had any idea of Phu Tran Rose's stem. Although there are many guesses etc.

Well, I've been playing around with the crease pattern above and came up with the following:

Recognize the base pattern in the top right hand square?
Then rotated in the top left hand square and rotated again in the bottom left hand square...

Basically I've split the paper into 4 equal squares, applied the original base crease 3 times, each time rotating it 90 degrees anti-clock wise.

This will give me 9 leaves.

The remaining square is basically your stem:

Depending how thin you want your stem and leaves to be, you choose the number of mountain and valley folds.

The results should be like this:

You'll get an additional stem... but you can hide it... up to you how you do it.

This is as close as I can get to the stem in Phu Trans rose right now.

Maybe someone can modify this and make it better.

Happy Folding!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Wow, you did a very good work on this, but as far as I know the stem and the leaves on the Phu Tran Rose are made from different papers that hold together on their own. I've seen some pictures of the leaves only so I'm very confident that my informations are right.

Very good work though :D
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

Very impressive. I have to agree with the person before me though. Trans stem and leaves appear to be four separate pieces. Close inspections on the stem suggests that it is twisted rather than folded much like you do with a napkin rose and the leaves appear to be made from a bird base. I have made a leaf very similar from a bird base but i do not have a camera to post pics, well maybe one day :(
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You didn't hear it from me, but each set of three leaves is from an inverted stretched frog base. That's all I'll say on the matter. (Meaning, don't ask me what that means.)

Phu was willing to let other people be taught the rose, but you have to reverse-engineer the leaves yourself.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

You could use the extra stem to hold an extra flower :D .
My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
cluc

Post by cluc »

True Nathan... :) Maybe you can make the two roses.

ah... well... if it was 4 seperate pieces... then... all I can say is that, I'm not wasting paper... hehehehe :-P
origami_kid

Post by origami_kid »

origamimasterjared wrote:You didn't hear it from me, but each set of three leaves is from an inverted stretched frog base. That's all I'll say on the matter. (Meaning, don't ask me what that means.)

Phu was willing to let other people be taught the rose, but you have to reverse-engineer the leaves yourself.

He is right.Except that instead of the the "stretching" i did some "sinking". I don't know how to do a stretched frog base (it's somewhat more difficult I think than doing the stretched bird base and I didn't find anywhere how to do it)
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

a nice rose stem is done by arthur....but I think he removed it again. his stem is not bad, as it also has thorns on it

e-mo