Gallery of Jon Tucker

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Gallery of Jon Tucker

Post by Jonnycakes »

I drew a crease pattern for my Phoenix 2.0. Here is the CP:

Edit: I made the lines thicker for the CP-I think it masks the anomalies of Inkscape and makes it more readable.

Here is the finished model:

Here is my Flickr if you want to see more pics.

There didn't seem to be an appropriate thread to post a CP, since I have already posted pics of the folded piece. I suppose i will use this thread to post CPs as I draw them. (Anyone else feel free to use this thread to post CPs if you need a place to put them).
Last edited by Jonnycakes on February 6th, 2008, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

WOW :o thats great i'll try and get round to folding that soon and ill post a picture of my attempt :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm actually starting with CP's because I'd really like to fold this model. How hard do you reckon it is to fold it from just this CP?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Thank you.
This CP is may not be a good one to start out with-there are some things you must do to get from the CP base to the final model that may not be straightforward (pulling out flaps for the wings, thinning the claws and beak, sinking the neck, pleating the tail). It is certainly not the hardest CP in the world, though. It is based on a 36x36 grid which is pretty easily accomplished. Most of it is straight-forward box-pleating (mostly involving Elias-stretch type operations, even). If you want to try it, I will be happy to assist you as best as I can.

Edit: I have a new CP ready.

Ryujin
From a single dollar bill.

CP:

Finished model:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would love to try it some day soon, but I don't think it would be wise to learn how to fold form CP's using this CP. When I first saw it it didn't look too hard, but I really lack experience in this field so it's hard for me to judge its difficulty.

Mind if I'd send you a PM when I'm ready to try folding it?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

No problem-I check my PMs regularly.
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

just out of intrest jonnycakes how long have you been folding? because i've been folding for about a year or two now and have done super-complex stuff and have just started designing. :wink: 8)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I have been folding for about 10 years (since I was about 8) and designing for about 5. Although until a year or two ago that designing consisted of doodling around and not really coming up with much of anything. I am always amazed at people that have been folding for only a couple years and yet are folding complex models and designing things of their own. I have not been involved in the origami community for long, though, so that could be it.

And one last thing: ODS is your friend.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I am working on another design now. Inspired by a pattern that I thought would make a nice dress, I decided to design a Victorian Era lady holding a parasol in one hand. When I folded it, the parasol didn't work out too well, though, so I turned it into a sword:

I decided to scrap the asymmetry and use the design to make a violinist instead. I haven't folded it yet, but here is the CP I have so far:

I plan to fan out the pleats for detail. We will see what happens...
klnothincomin

Post by klnothincomin »

Beautiful design! I think all your artwork is great! I will have to work harder in order to design something just like you.
Kevin Luo
If practice doesn't make perfect, at least it passes time! ^_^
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Thank you klnothincomin! It is great to have someone admire my work-it is very inspiring.

I didn't want to post this CP until I had folded the piece, so here it is:

Raiden

I based this model after Raiden from the Moral Kombat series, but it is my own interpretation of the character.
Finward

Post by Finward »

Wonderful Raiden
A question about the CP. A line of squares is for hand fingers, and the other one?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

The other lines of squares (a series of reverse folds on the pleats) are for the flaps going over the shoulders. Those shoulder flaps are a bit long, so I modified them to be shorter in the final shaping.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I drew a CP for my latest design, Zero from Code Geass:

And here is the completed model:

Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I like it! Good use of a colour change, there.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.