Water Lily

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Jorram

Water Lily

Post by Jorram »

Hello, it's my first post here and I'd otherwise take the time to probably do a better opening post ;), but right now I urgently need help with a diagram I just dont seem to understand at all.

I'm trying to fold a water lily (you've all seen lilies and frogs compositions, right), but the only diagram i managed to find on the net was this one:

http://ori-l.mvg-ori.nl/models/flowers/lilly/index.htm

and I certainly don't understand how is it possible at all to go from step 5 at http://ori-l.mvg-ori.nl/models/flowers/lilly/lilly1.gif (which is your regular preliminary base.. i think. not sure if you unfold the entire model at step 4) to step 6, which has open corners at BOTH sides of the model. The diagram is very lacking in explanations and transitional images, so if anyone can help me understand how to fold that one, or has a better diagram at internet disposal, I'd be grateful :)
Friet

Post by Friet »

There's nothing wrong with the diagrams.

First you fold the four corners to the middle (step 3). Then you make a preliminary base(step 4), which is actually a preliminary base with double layers. The corners you folded to the middle should be the outer layers. Then do a petal fold on both sides and fold all four flaps down(step 5). Now you can pull out the layers you folded to the middle in step 3. (step 6)
Jorram

Post by Jorram »

Thank you :) I think i followed that course in the beginning but it began to feel too impossible to fold so I gave up, but with a bigger list it works alright.

I have the feeling this model is kinda beyond me, though :/ I managed to work out those two steps, but at step 9 I'm lost at what edges to refold and can't make the transition from step 10 to step 11 as well. Further help?
Friet

Post by Friet »

I tried folding the model and I couldn't get step 9 right either. The corners you're supposed to refold are are the ones named A,B,C and D in step 1.

I'll try again when I have more time :)
Joseph Wu

Re: Help with water lily, please

Post by Joseph Wu »

Jorram wrote:I'm trying to fold a water lily (you've all seen lilies and frogs compositions, right), but the only diagram i managed to find on the net was this one:

http://ori-l.mvg-ori.nl/models/flowers/lilly/index.htm
Try this one. It's easier.
http://members.aol.com/davidpetty/mom14.htm
Jorram

Post by Jorram »

Thanks, i tried folding this one, using normal printer paper, but can't say I'm really impressed with the result. I'm not sure if I get the 6->7 step correctly, because it seems to me that the outer petals are obtained via forcing and crumpling the paper (I find it impossible to cleanly fold at that point), and the outcome is really not good looking. Maybe i should use a bigger piece of paper (I now use a square, side the size of the shorter side of A4).. however I dont really need a bigger lilly than that. Do I need better paper, or am I doing something wrong?

Any thoughts?

Oh, and any help on the first diagram I posted would be appreciated as well :)
saj

Post by saj »

I believe the Lilly by David Petty is meant to be folded from a napkin, as the excess layers often result in a rip during the 'petaling' process.

I've never had much luck with Martin's Lilly, although I have managed to fold it once (and have never had much success with it later)

I quite like the Lilly from Ravi Apte's Gallery, although I believe someone from the O-List mentioned it was a multipiece model.

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Kishe

Post by Kishe »

Is there a diagram available for the lily featured in Ravi Apte's gallery? I would really appreciate it if I could find one...

Thanks in advance!!
saj

Post by saj »

I'm in the process of ordering that book - I believe the ISBN number was given on the O-List.
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Friet

Post by Friet »

This is an answer someone posted in the O-List.
Hi Anine,

You're right; the flower is a modular -- 16 sheets of paper, folded and tied
in the middle with a wire or string, then opened up to form the flower. I
found it in a Chinese golden venture origami book, so I can't tell if there's
a name attached. ISBN 957-779-163-8

Here's where I bought it:

Pacific Books & Arts Chinese Bookstore
524 Clement St. (between Sixth and Seventh avenues)
San Francisco, CA 94121

Here's where I think you can order it. Plug in the ISBN (without dashes)
and the book should come up.
_http://us.yesasia.com/en/Chinese/Index.aspx_
(http://us.yesasia.com/en/Chinese/Index.aspx)

Cheers,
Susan
Kishe

Post by Kishe »

Hmmm.....

I bet it would be better if I could read Chinese.....

Bet thank you anyways! I'm sure I'll find something.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

The water lilly by Akira Yoshizawa is pretty looking too. I would love to fold that.
EnErGygurl5

Post by EnErGygurl5 »

WOW!!! that second link was much easier to make!!
I MADE ONE!! xP
i joined this forum today....so yeah.... :roll:
welcome me? :?
- chinky eyes ^^
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, so welcome to the board Image