Drawing diagrams

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
zxop9

Drawing diagrams

Post by zxop9 »

Hi,

I recently started designing origami models after getting Langs Design Secrets book. I designed my first model this month, a t-rex, and drew up diagrams for it.

They are really sloppy hand drawn diagrams, and would like to know if there is a program I can use to make good diagrams like the ones in books. I did try to use the search function but it came up with over 1100 results.

Thanks in advance
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I believe Macromedia Freehand is commonly used by professionals (i.e. Lang, Kamiya) to diagram their works. Montroll uses hand-drawn diagrams, too, so whatever way you decide to create diagrams, it is fine as long as they are clear. Freehand is not, however free (contrary to its title :lol: ), but you should be able to get an older/used version for cheap.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Jonnycakes wrote:Montroll uses hand-drawn diagrams, too
You sure about that? That's like saying Robert Lang uses hand-drawn diagrams. Montroll's first few books were hand-drawn, but ever since the 90s, he's been using a computer I'm fairly sure. Dave Brill draws his by hand.

And yeah, Freehand has been the software of choice, but now that Adobe bought Macromedia, Freehand has been discontinued, so you may look into learning Adobe Illustrator. You can also check out free programs like Inkscape, which I've heard has developed nicely.

As for myself, I use Freehand. Same goes for Robert Lang, Satoshi Kamiya, Jason Ku.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

I use an architectural drawing program called TurboCad. I found it easier to use than AutoCad. It is probably not as good specifically for origami, otherwise more people would use it, but I'm not going to change over to a new/different program now!!
What I like about it is that it is sooo precise (to the 0.000 decimal). Also by using computer for drawings, you can re-use the drawings, eg when you draw 2 different models that are made from the same base, you dont have to redraw the base! Many other advantages also, like scaling, editing, etc. And, of course, I can't even draw a decent stick-man!!!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

origamimasterjared wrote:You sure about that? That's like saying Robert Lang uses hand-drawn diagrams. Montroll's first few books were hand-drawn, but ever since the 90s, he's been using a computer I'm fairly sure. Dave Brill draws his by hand.
:oops: Whooops-my mistake. I recall hearing other people talk about Montroll's beautiful hand-drawn diagrams-to be honest, I am not all-too familiar with his diagrams. I am a bigger fan of Lang and his bugs, personally.
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

thanks a ton
inkscape is really good for me since i can't buy off the internet ;p, should have said that in my first post
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I am using Inkscape, due to its price. And also it is legal to use it (who paid for Illustrator?). I know about approx. two things what should be better in Inkscape, but...
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

hmm, how do i add a new page to inkscape?
merman

Post by merman »

I used Aldus IntelliDraw, which is like a cheaper version of Freehand. It is very good but also very old. Right now I am looking for a new computer and I am not sure if I can install this program (that works with floppy discs) on XP or Vista...

these pictures (don't look at the paper it was printed on) were made with IntelliDraw:

Image Image
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

zxop9: Inkscape doesn't do multiple pages. You have to make the page, save it as a PDF, then repeat that with the other pages, and then combine the finished PDFs using PDF Blender or some other program that does the same thing.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origamiguy

Drawing diagrams

Post by origamiguy »

I use FreeHand MX on my MacBook.

I guarantee you that Montroll uses Freehand too. He told me that the use of computer diagramming for origami started with James Minoru Sakoda, at least in the USA.

What I like about FreeHand is that so many others use it too for origami diagramming, so we can share tips and tricks.

For instance, if you print to a postscript printer, and have the right userprep file, the fold lines (mountain or valley) can always start and end with a dash.

O f course the bad thing is FreeHand is a dead product now owned by Adobe. You can still buy it but it will not be updated.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

About InkScape

You can make layers in one document, so you can have all diagram in one file. But export is possible only of single layer, so you must do it layer by layer (maybe new updates change it). Export to PDF is not working properly for me, so I use export to PS and PDF make by program PDF Creator.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Finward

Post by Finward »

All right. Im tired of using power point for diagramming. I'm trying to download inkscape. I have Windows Vista. Please, how... I download and install it???? I would really appreciate your help
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

What do you all think about using photographs? I prefer using photographs because they accurately show shadows.
eaglehorn

Post by eaglehorn »

-
Last edited by eaglehorn on October 9th, 2018, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.