Do you create your own models?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
stuckie27

Do you create your own models?

Post by stuckie27 »

I have just started the creative process. I encourage anybody else out there to start too.

The way I look at it, the more I relate it to doodling with a pencil, but instead using paper as the creative medium.

Most of my first originals have been variations on already diagramed models.

I changed the classic money pig, the one with three legs. Diagrams in the Origami Handbook by Rick Beech. Anyways I turned the pig into a dog with four legs. That was my first model and it was awesome.

That was about 5 months ago. Since then I have created quite a few little origamis. I turned the classic crane into a dragon, with longer wings and tail, and a monster like head.

I created two more dogs, a few variations of the sonobe unit that have probably already been discovered. I changed David Brills mask from Brilliant Origami into a strange looking creature.

I have made a really cool penguin that I feel is my best model yet.. I will try to get pictures. Creating this one was an accident from trying to fold from a crease pattern. Which I have been unsuccessful so far, but I have not tried very hard to master. The crease pattern was from somebodies four legged crane, I forget who, it was posted on the Origami list.

Yesterday I created a penguin with a spiky head from three strips of scrap origami paper.

I have also made, a few ugly fish, a variation on a Tomoko Fuse box, a cool dude guy made from a starbox crease pattern. A very small variation on Montroll's turtle from Animal Origami for the enthusiast. An alien. I think I have made some more but I cant remember.

What about you guys? Have you started the creative process and If you have what advise do you have?
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I've created only 4 models until now, one of them is medium complex, one a variation and two easy models.
but as I wrote before, I'm not going to become a designer, but it's a good and refreshing way to fold :)
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

The usual methods for creating are inspirational :idea: ,doodling :?: ,mathematical/geometrical :arrow: ,and set/choice :!: .

I create models sometimes on a daily basis,but also I can have a block for a month or so. My favorite method is creation by choice. The first step I have is finding a base I can use,(either traditional or made by another origamist) the second is research,I carefully examine the object I am trying to make,the third is making the object,the fourth and final step is adding detail (I recently added a section on this to my website) and shaping. Of course then it is only a prototype. :?

Variations is a good way to start in the doodling method and makes for some interesting models.

The first things I made were my own,that was before I found a book and discovered there even was origami.

Most of my models are "one and only's" because I don't usually diagram or take photos(my latest was an eel I made at work today),but I remember almost all of my creations luckily or I'd be in trouble :wink:

Good Luck with making your own models and I hope I have helped.
JW
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I've only designed a few models, and most of them were by doodling. The best one, the "Rude Orc," came about after I was messing around with Randlett's flapping bird, of all things. The tail was squashed to become a tongue and the wings became the ears.
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

JMcK wrote:I've only designed a few models, and most of them were by doodling. The best one, the "Rude Orc," came about after I was messing around with Randlett's flapping bird, of all things. The tail was squashed to become a tongue and the wings became the ears.
we all have to start somewhere right?

Do you have a picture?

I have folded the flapping bird, and changed it to a bird with two heads and no tail, it was interesting.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I have a photo of the Rude Orc in a Yahoo! photo album:

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/thiomor

It's the first photo in the "Origami" folder.
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

some pictures of the models i have created
http://www.themountainfold.com/paul/Fol ... ations.htm
Last edited by stuckie27 on March 18th, 2004, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
saj

Rude orc diagrams?

Post by saj »

Hi,

I saw the rude orc diagrams at the Spring BOS convention. It never dawned upon me at the time to ask John himself for the diagrams.

If anyone knows where I can get them from, would anyone please let me know?

Great display by the way ;)

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I've only done a handful, and about half of those are doodles and variants; the rest are planned (ie, designating regions of the paper to parts of the model, and then swearing and wrestling with the paper until it collapses into a base which accomodates everything).

Keeping a notebook or a journal helps tremendously. I try to make as many assorted notes in it as I can, eg ideas for models I want to design, nifty folding techniques from other designers and of course partial diagrams of designed models.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

Sorry Saj, no diagrams for the orc as yet.

I'll teach it (probably informally) if I get to the York convention.

I wasn't very successful when I tried to teach it to a few people at the last convention, but that was because I hadn't yet worked out how I had got the face to hold together. (I had only come up with the design about a week before.)

Glad you liked the display!
saj

Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Post by saj »

OMG

just realised that JMcK stands for John McKeever! lol
Wow that was quite a impressive display. I wanted to display some of my stuff, but since I'm sorta shy I didn't want Dave asking me come to up and talk about my models! ...

I'll be staying at the York Convention for the full 3 days this time - I hope you'll be there!

One of my favourite models from the convention was the crossbow - were you by any chance in that class with me?

See you soon,

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
MrBluePie

Post by MrBluePie »

John, wonderful gallery of models. Are there diagrams for the shoe by any chance!?
~~~~~~~~
Mr. BluePie
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

MrBluePie wrote:John, wonderful gallery of models. Are there diagrams for the shoe by any chance!?
Yoshio Tsuda's shoe is diagrammed in the Autumn 1999 BOS convention book. (You would know that already if you had checked Dennis and Saj's origami database! :) )

The shop part of the BOS website seems to be down at the moment, so I'm not sure if that book is still available or not.