Spray glue or glue stick?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

What glue do you use to make tissue foil?

spray glue
52%
glue stick
12%
white glue
36%

Total votes: 33

angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Spray glue or glue stick?

Post by angrydemon »

After reading some old threads, I found out that some of the members use GLUE STICK to make tissue foil. Right now, I'm using spray glue but there are a few problems with it.

1. It costs too much.
2. There are no such things as "GARAGES" in Malaysia, so I have to do it outdoors. Normally, it's either windy, sunny or raining. Wind will blow the freaking paper away. Sun will make me sweat on the the tissue. And I don't have an umbrella big enough for when I want to do it under the rain.
3. It destroys the ozone layer.

I guess the main problem is that I have to do it outdoors. My dad will kill me if I get glue on the furniture. Are there any problems with using glue stick? I'm seriously thinking of switching. Then, I can make tissue foil anytime I please. MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
eric_son

Re: Spray glue or glue stick?

Post by eric_son »

angrydemon wrote: 1. It costs too much.
But it goes a long long way. :)
angrydemon wrote: 2. There are no such things as "GARAGES" in Malaysia, so I have to do it outdoors. Normally, it's either windy, sunny or raining. Wind will blow the freaking paper away. Sun will make me sweat on the the tissue. And I don't have an umbrella big enough for when I want to do it under the rain.
Heheheh... it's the same here in the Philippines. Plus, we've got dust... so much of it. I once sprayed adhesive on foil but had to go inside to answer the phone. When I got back, the foil was coated with a thin layer of dust. It was good enough to use as a 800grit sandpaper. :)
Just wait for good sunny non-windy weather, then make a big whole batch of foil paper.
angrydemon wrote: 3. It destroys the ozone layer.
True. :oops: I guess the glue stick wins in this category.
angrydemon wrote:Are there any problems with using glue stick? I'm seriously thinking of switching. Then, I can make tissue foil anytime I please. MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Dunno.. I haven't tried using glue sticks... yet. :D
I also do card models -- http://cutfoldpaste.blogspot.com
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

They no longer use CFC's in sprays in America at least, but I know for sure in less-developed parts of the world, they are still widely used. So I don't feel guilty using them.

My parents don't like me using it indoors but I just do it when they aren't home, hah. As long as you're careful and you have plenty of ventilation (but not enough to blow your paper away) you're golden.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I've added an option to the poll, since I neither use spray glue nor a glue stick but white glue to make my tissue foil.
Look here: viewtopic.php?p=6458#6458
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

3. It destroys the ozone layer.
but only if you can throw it far enough [img]http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... ofl0ne.gif[/img]
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

i use a glue stick, but my problem is i can only put one sheet of tissue on the front and back because the glue sticks tears the tissue if i want to put another layer on :/
i did buy spray glue but it clogged before i could make one sheet

in that video, what is he glueing to the tin foil? i've never seen tissue in a big piece like that, and colored before.
Last edited by zxop9 on April 30th, 2008, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

origami_8 wrote:I've added an option to the poll, since I neither use spray glue nor a glue stick but white glue to make my tissue foil.
Look here: viewtopic.php?p=6458#6458
anna--what exactly is meant by white glue? when someone says that to me, i honestly think elmer's :D ... has anyone tried that with tissue foil?
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I wrote it somewhere else, you can make sandwich paper without glue, just put one sheet on another. And be carefull during folding to prevent their shifting.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Do people actually sell rolls of colored tissue? I've never actually seen it in stores before. I can't imagine someone who would want to color his face every time he sneezed. I use crepe paper instead to make tissue...er, crepe foil. They are about as thin as tissue paper and come in assorted colors and in giant 50 by 98cm sheets. They don't come attached to little cardboard rolls though, so it's a lot harder to apply them to the foil without creating wrinkles.
My Flickr
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Crepe paper is also known as "artist's tissue" or just plain "tissue". So you are all really talking about the same thing.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Really? Oh. Thanks for telling me that. I don't know why, but I suddenly feel a lot happier.
My Flickr
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Oh, I always thought crepe paper is the wrinkly kind. At least the German word Krepppapier only refers to the wrinkly kind whereas Seidenpapier (which I would translate as tissue paper) is smooth.

And yes, white glue (Leim in German) would probably be Elmer's glue.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Again, the problem lies with the paper marketers who like to make up names for their papers. Yes, even here, crepe paper usually refers to the crinkly paper, and artist's tissue usually refers to the smooth paper. But sometimes they are interchanged.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
Finward

Post by Finward »

I once tried to make tissue foil with white glue, and althought color wasnt burned as with glue stick, it didn't pasted at all. When i started folding it was being slowly unglued (sound very weird, which is the correct word?) I did folded the models it was meant for, but i didnt liked it at all. Perhaps there are outside here many white glue recipes????
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

bethnor wrote:anna--what exactly is meant by white glue? when someone says that to me, i honestly think elmer's :D ... has anyone tried that with tissue foil?
Where I live, spray glue price is prohibitive so we use white glue. Even though it is not Elmer's, it is the local variety of it or how it is called generically "polyvinyl glue". Some people use it as it comes and some add 1/2 measure of water