Is anyone vegetarian?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

aesthetistician wrote:
angrydemon wrote: I can't eat leafy vegetables... I can eat lettuce, bean sprouts, cauliflower and most root vegetables, as long as they don't have leaves.
Isn't lettuce...entirely leaves? *confused*

I'll try almost any food at least once - how else could you find out what you liked? Except brains, because I'm a scaredy cat about prion disease.
Lettuce is the only leafy vegetable I can eat without blowing chunks across the table. Unfortunately, it's not very nutritious. Tomatoes also make me hurl, even though I love tomato sauce.
Joe the White wrote: I'd rather eat nothing, but one can't survive long that way, so I'll not discriminate and just eat both =p.
Clay is edible :twisted: No, I'm serious. Go look it up yourself.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

Anyway, here's my list (based on a "normal" North American diet): deer, wild boar, snake, turtle, ostrich, emu, kangaroo, bear, frog, goat, chicken knuckles, tripe, spleen, heart, lung, tendon, brain.
That is seriously disgusting :( Think how many animals died :cry:

I'm a vegetarian because i think it's cruel and i don't like meat :evil:
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Plants are living things, too. Your arbitrary distinction might work for you, but you still kill to eat. Don't judge me using your own prejudices. You make your choice, and I'll make mine. By extension, would you condemn all predators for eating meat? :roll:
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

i didn't mean to offend you or anything i apologise :(
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Apology accepted. Thank you.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

By the way that dragon thats your avatar i really like :D going to make any diagrams/crease pattern?? :P
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

Joseph Wu wrote: By extension, would you condemn all predators for eating meat? :roll:
It's how one is killing that matters, a predator has to hunt for it's prey while we just have to "hunt" it down in a supermarket. Since I have a vegie girlfriend I rarely eat meat now and I'm not sorry for that. If you see how animals are treated, It's disgusting. Chickens crammed in a tight cell, cows beaten because they are stressed and don't want into the killingmachine. Really, things like that make me sick and ashamed to be human. Whenever I want eggs I go get them with the friendly farmer where the chickens run free on the terrain and are not mistreated.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Yes, I'm very aware of how factory chickens are kept. I do what I can to buy free range meat and eggs.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

If it's cruel to kill animals for other meat that I guess we better do something and keep all the bears from feeding on salmon on the peregrine falcons from preying on mice. That would be the right thing, wouldn't it?

Humans have been eating meat since they came into existence. Predation is perfectly natural, but it's how we do it that's the issue. I personally think it's ridiculous for people to not want to eat meat if they consider it a moral issue...

I read an article that there's a $1,000,000 U.S. reward for the first scientist that comes up with a viable method of growing meat in the lab. The reward seems a bit low to me... but I'm wondering where the reward is for figuring out how to inject chloroplasts into our cells and photosynthesize :lol: .
Adam

Post by Adam »

hmm.. it's not unusual here (in fact it's popular), but I'm gonna say I ate durian. yes! that stinky fruit. That's enough to freak most people out on the internet, right?
I'm not too fond of the fruit but it tastes pretty decent to me, but I like durian ice cream better.
I ate one of those when I was in Thailand, and I have to say I didn't really like it. It didn't smell as horribly as I had expected too, even though it was still nasty.
Joseph Wu wrote:Plants are living things, too. Your arbitrary distinction might work for you, but you still kill to eat. Don't judge me using your own prejudices. You make your choice, and I'll make mine. By extension, would you condemn all predators for eating meat? :roll:
I completely agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it to improve the animal's lives. You can buy lots of organic food in the supermarkets here, and people often claim that it was produced in a more "animal friendly" way. However, these products are a lot more expensive than 'normal' products, and they often taste like garbage ( - though I'm not sure how garbage tastes.. ).

I love meat, and I will always love it. It's nutritious, tasty and - call me cruel - I have no moral issues with eating it whatsoever.

By the way, to all the veggies here: Is anything in your house made of wood? Think of how the animals lost their 'homes' ( trees ) so that you could have some furniture or whatever. Are any of your shoes made of leather? Think how many animals had to die for it.
Not eating meat doesn't make you a veggetarian, as you still kill animals for other things.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Adam, "Don't judge me using your own prejudices" cuts both ways.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I understand that. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and way of life and I don't want to judge anyone. I just don't like being called "disgusting" and "cruel" by people who ( most of the time ) falsely think they do everything they can to help animals and are pretty much equally "disgusting" and "cruel" as the ones they call that way.

Just saying how I feel about this topic. I certainly do not want this to become a rdrutel-ish 'discussion'.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Thanks. I know how easy it is to get offended and to offend people online. I certainly do both of those often enough, usually not on purpose. Everyone, please remember that it is possible to explain your point of view without having to attack the other person's point of view. (And that reminder goes for me, too.) Thanks again!
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

By the way, to all the veggies here: Is anything in your house made of wood? Think of how the animals lost their 'homes' ( trees ) so that you could have some furniture or whatever. Are any of your shoes made of leather? Think how many animals had to die for it
Adam i'm a vegetarian not a vegan :evil: