Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
bethnor
Buddha

Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Post by bethnor »

subject line, as diagrammed from tanteidan #13.

in step #66, i assume the comment says something about the model not lying flat. the next step seems to show the central gusset in the head has been squash-folded--i assume it has NOT been and proceeded as directed, and the diagram just represented a "top-down" view of the gusset. the problem is that this gusset subsequently gets in the way of making a clean fold in step 83. any hints?
Kijjakarn

Kamiya's lion

Post by Kijjakarn »

Sorry, but i dont have the origami tanteidan. Can you take a picture of step 66? Maybe I can explain you in video
HankSimon
Buddha

What is the Difference ?

Post by HankSimon »

Hey Guys -

What is the difference between the Satoshi Kamiya Lion and the Hideo Kamatsu Lion. I don't see the subtleties ?

(The only difference that I see is that Kamiya's Lion is diagrammed in Tanteidan 13 :)

Thanx,
Hank Simon
A random folder

Post by A random folder »

I I can think of at the top of my head, is the "mane".
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Are you kidding? That's like saying what's the difference between any two lobsters or pandas, or horses, etc. The only things they have in common are they're both very complex/difficult, both lions, both really good, and both by Japanese guys whose names begin with a K.

It's like those people who talk about "the praying mantis" or "the dog"*.

The difference is that one is by Komatsu and the other is by Kamiya. They both have very different folding styles within the range of complex/representational origami.

Generally the point of representational origami is to actually have something that looks like the subject at hand. It should come as no surprise that a lot of finished pieces look fairly similar. But the structure and methods used may be totally different.

*"The dog" is actually the name of an "adult" origami piece. Hahaha.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

if one is to be perfectly clear, one should post pictures of the two, as the person confusing the two may have seen different pictures of the same lion and mistakenly thought they were by different authors.

the komatsu lion is more abstract in appearance, with a fuller, more "billowy" mane--sort of like seinfeld's pirate shirt. the kamiya lion's mane is less so, having a more pleated structure reminiscent of yosshino's wild boar.

now if someone could actually answer my original question :)... fyi i sort of got past the problem point, but the middle structure i was posting about gets very messy and uneven, and i can't believe that is the way it is supposed to be, even though technically it is all hidden... so any hints would be helpful... but since i folded past the problem point i can't take pictures :(
Wen Fu Kai

Post by Wen Fu Kai »

I also have difficulties with that step 99-100. Can you fold again and help with that part?
takwing

Post by takwing »

I am having difficulties in step 44 - 45.
What is written in the Japanese instruction?
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

This one's kind of a tricky translation, but roughly, it says: "push out the darkened dection's hidden(?) posterior from behind."
In other words, a closed sink. The darkened area outlines a few layers below the surface that you tuck inside-out.
takwing

Post by takwing »

Thanks for the translation! I can follow that step now.

(Tonight, I stopped at step 57.... will continue tomorrow)
artur biernacki
Forum Sensei

Post by artur biernacki »

I folded this model..
Artur
My gallery on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569445@N02/
takwing

Post by takwing »

Artur,

you have done a great job! What paper are you using?

and now I am stuck in step 99 and 100. Can you help?
origamigod

Post by origamigod »

how many steps does that lion diagram have?
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

wow, thats really good :D :D
Sebyfrog

Post by Sebyfrog »

Hey,
I'm trying to make Satoshi's Lion at the moment, but I'm really struggling from step 75 to 80, it's just a mess, it wont lie flat and the paper gets really misshapen! :evil:
Am I doing something wrong or did other folders have trouble here?
Maybe my paper's to thick (50cm 120g/m²), gonna try again with some tant paper (35cm 70g/cm²).

Anyway, if you could give me an advice or pics or explanations, that'd be coooool!

Thanks,
Peace :D
Live forever man...