Best Paper for Complex Models? What sizes (like Anc. Drag.)?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Drgn

Best Paper for Complex Models? What sizes (like Anc. Drag.)?

Post by Drgn »

Hi there! I'm new to the forums so you don't know me yet, but I'll try to stick a round actively so maybe we ya will :wink:

Just have a question that's been bugging me about the different papers there are out there. I've only used regular printing paper and wrapping paper (somehow it's similar to foil-backed paper) before for models, and I find that when you're trying to do a complex 3-D model, it just doesn't cut it!
I've been browsing the forums and I tend to notice that the majority of models are created with "foil paper," the paper that is also the highest on the sticky poll. I've seen the homemade method to make it in Nicolas Terry's "Passion Origami" and plan on giving that a try.

Do you guys make your own foil paper using this method? Or is there paper like that you can buy out there? And would you say the results for complex 3-D models is good or poor?

I'm mostly looking for a type of paper that gives nice results but isn't hard to get or hard to make (buying it would be hard in my position since I'm a bit young.)

I'm planning on doing quite a few hard models during the summer like the Ancient Dragon, Black Forest Cookoo Clock, Bull Moose, etc., so I'm looking for the best paper I can get my hands on for them.

If someone has experience in folding those models, what type of paper would you recommend? Would nice wrapping paper be sufficient? Would foil paper (or foil-backed paper, I think they're the same thing?) be better?

Sorry for the extensive post #-o I'm a bit clueless when it comes to different paper, so if you guys could give me some help in this field, I'd really appreciate it! :D
Last edited by Drgn on June 16th, 2008, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

I don't know about where you come from, but in Malaysia, it's very easy to find foil paper in stationery shops. They come in large 50 by 70 cm rolls in assorted colors (red, blue, green, purple, pink, silver, gold). Wrapping paper sucks. Foil paper is definitely better, although it isn't the best choice. Foil paper is mainly used for it's malleability and convenience. The foil layer is very thin and peels off very easily, resulting in hideously disfigured models. And it isn't strong enough for models that require a lot of point-splitting in the middle. Tissue foil is a better alternative, but it's very time-consuming to make. Try buying over-priced paper on the Internet. I've never done it before, but I'm sure there is a logical reason why everyone's doing it.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Max

Post by Max »

Sometimes one sheet tissue paper, or two sheets glued together with MC are a good choice for folding complex models. It always depends on what model you want to fold.

I personally don't like foiled paper that much...

Greetings and welcome!
max
Last edited by Max on June 16th, 2008, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

right now, im not sure where you can buy it, but if you can find big rolls of art paper, they usually are a yard wide, and are very good for origami.
Drgn

Post by Drgn »

Thanks for all the input guys :)

So would homemade tissue foil be my best bet?

I guess this is all about preference, but what square size would you recommend for folding the Ancient Dragon? (Or what square size would it take to make a model about 30CM long (12inches) or bigger?)

I suppose regular stiff wrapping paper would be fine for the Cookoo Clock and Moose. :wink:
Thanks for all the help!
Max

Post by Max »

i guess you have to make a huge sheet of paper to fold a 30cm dragon. so before starting an attempt on the dragon i would propose to test fold with a small sheet of different papers...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Drgn wrote:what square size would it take to make a model about 30CM long (12inches) or bigger?)
About 1m.
Drgn

Post by Drgn »

Would you guys suggest I try it on a smaller paper on my first attempt? Would it show less mistakes?

Or would making it on a larger sheet make it easier to make the folds?

Sorry for all the questions :oops: But thanks a bunch for all the help guys :D
Max

Post by Max »

Satoshi recommends paper sizes that are good to handle for each model in his book.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to just start a first fold without high expectations... :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Max wrote:Satoshi recommends paper sizes that are good to handle for each model in his book.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to just start a first fold without high expectations... :)
Those sizes aren't really that good for some models. For example, he recommends using 15x15 paper for Splash, but it ends up being rather small in the end, and in my opinion it doesn't look too good. The same goes for the Chocobo, it's a pain in the lower back to shape the model when you're using a small sheet of paper.

I recommend using a large sheet of not-too-high-quality paper for your first attempt, so that you get the hang of the folding process, which can be quite hard at some points. It is possible to get it right the first time, but it's also possible that it'll be a disaster. Good luck :)
Max

Post by Max »

@adams, oh yes you are right...never folded the chocobo from the diagrams but my Splash was also folded with 25cmx25cm paper.

btw, my first dragon was a desaster *G*
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

The first time I folded it, I rolled it up into a ball and threw it away. Apparently, I pleated the toes TWELVE times. It gets very confusing when you look at the tiny diagrams and compare it to the gigantic sheet of paper you're holding.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Adam

Post by Adam »

Max wrote:@adams, oh yes you are right...never folded the chocobo from the diagrams but my Splash was also folded with 25cmx25cm paper.

btw, my first dragon was a desaster *G*
My first 'attempt' was from copy paper, just to see how hard the first couple of steps were.
Second one was from 70x70 cm Kite paper, but it was loads of work to reverse the creases, so I couldn't be bothered to go past step ~30.
Third attempt : A rather thick kind of paper. At step 67 I noticed that the paper was getting really thick and my folds weren't really precise, so I gave up on finishing that one aswell.
Fourth attempt : A special kind of wrapping paper. I got to step ~140 when it became so thick that I just couldn't do anything with it.

My next attempt will be with either Kite paper ( and this time I'll actually finish it ) or 37 g/sm Kraftpaper, and this time I really should be able to complete this lovely model.
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

first time i folded it from 45cm square of tissue paper, turned out ok (head was kind of, eh) i fold almost all my models from 45cm squares, i occasionly glue two together and get a 65cm square, made a great dragon out of that, i think i would reccomend a 65cm square for kamiyas ancient dragon, and tissue paper as always.
Drgn

Post by Drgn »

Thank you very much for all the suggestions :D This will help me a lot to get the most out of my first attempt. :wink: