Origami Tool.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Hiba

Origami Tool.

Post by Hiba »

I have folded many Origami models untill now,including simple to very complex models.I ended up finding that some tools and equipments are useful in doing Origami beside Ruler and cut . :) These tools help me very much in Hard-to-reach-by-hand Spots on the models.
I wonder does everyone else use tool as I do?
Martial and Arts
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

there are a couple of commandment breaking tools, that I use while folding or as preparation tools. I have a carpet cutter, a metal ruler and a carving board to bring the paper in the right starting size. within the folding process it sometimes happens, that my fingers won't fit into a bag, so I was in need for a tool to handle it (sure, I could have used a larger sheet of paper). because of that (and the fact, that I am a PC techncian), I have a small set of little screwdrivers to open up bags. I also have a small assemblage of little clothepins to fix some parts of the models that tend to open up within the folding process. of course I have some kind of glue standing around.
it seems, that I am heretic, that must be burned :)

Christian
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I made a picture of the two tweezers and the srewdriver that I'm using as folding tools

[img]http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6840/tools1uj.jpg[/img]

Christian
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Wow those are the tweezers I was thinking about (I hope they don't have any of your nose hairs on them:).

I have a question, why is it that a square ruler would break the purity commandments? I had heard about no glue no cuts, but the way you obtain your square is nobody's business and the most perfect your square is, the better your folds will be
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

in fact there are no written rules about no glue, no cuts and all that...
when you talk to 10 people, you may get 10 different answeres, about what is allowed, and what isn't.
so you can use, whatever you want... including rulers and all stuff, that may make the folding process a little easier for you :)

Christian
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

For actual folding (as opposed to cutting or preparing paper) the only tool I use regularly is a blunted wooden cocktail stick, to get at those hard to reach places.
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

i KNOW this has nothing to do with actual folding but it is a "tool" that i use to stop aggravation while folding, so i will pass it on. as origami should be fun, not aggravating.(in theory at least, hehe)
ya know when your books wont lay flat and you cant see the diagrams and you have to keep stopping to adjust the book again. i tried a book holder but for a few reasons it didnt work well for me. so i took a sand filled 12 inch long lizard(stuffed animal) and laid it across my book it works beautifully! pages stay real flat. and ya only have to move it a bit, once to see all your diagrams. i suppose sand filled snakes would do the trick too. if you go this route, dont get one that is half sand and half polyfil it wont work! dani
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Yep - it works nicely until the spine of the book cracks (and its resale value goes down). :D

I know a guy who buys both print and pdf versions of roleplaying sourcebooks - the former for its future "antique" value, and the latter for actual gaming sessions...
malachi

Post by malachi »

I just remembered what my most frequently used "tool" for origami is. I use it so much, I almost forgot about it!

I have a clear plastic clip board that has the clip removed that I carry around with my origami stuff because it provides a hard surface to fold on no matter where I am, and because it is clear it can be put on top of an open book, depending on the type of book, so I can refer to the diagrams as I fold without needing extra space to keep a book open.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Yep - it works nicely until the spine of the book cracks (and its resale value goes down)
resale? who taught you such evil words??? :shock:

:lol:

Christian
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Remember how high the bids went for Kawahata's Origami Fantasy on eBay? Might be worth getting a few spare copies of the Origami House books, yes? :D
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

did you forgot the 12th commandment: "thou shouldn't sell thy origami stuff"?
pray now, young lass, and your soul may be save :D

Christian
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Oh, the spare copies aren't <i>mine</i>, I'm just temporarily keeping it for a potential future folder! :D
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

try getting a golf tee. It works suprisingly well for getinginto hard to reach ares and it does nicely for opening out reversefolds from the inside.
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
malachi

Post by malachi »

Here is a link to a picture of my current tools, a bone folder and a pair of tweezers.

http://nashvillebirthpartners.com/photo ... age_id=298