What is you favorite Origami book?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
stuckie27

What is you favorite Origami book?

Post by stuckie27 »

Do you have a favorite book that you have folded everything out of?

I really like Montroll's African Animals in origami I think I have folded everything in it. I especially like the giraffe which I have memorized.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

About the only book I've folded all the models from is Montroll's Mythological Creatures and the Chinese Zodiac in Origami. Mostly its because of my love of myths.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

About the only book I've folded all the models from is Montroll's Mythological Creatures and the Chinese Zodiac in Origami. Mostly its because of my love of myths.
hey, we must be related to each other :) it's also the only book, that I've completely folded until now.
but there are a couple of books, that I really love to use, like the insects 1 book of lang or "seres de ficcion"... a very hard to answer question.

Christian
dani luddington

fave book

Post by dani luddington »

not sure which is my favorite book but now that you have started a thread on, "which book have you folded all the models from" it would have to be montrolls "prehistoric dinosaurs". must admit i was so tickled(yes i am a woman, i get tickled about things, lol) when i finished that book, and i liked the models too!!! i would have to say montrolls books are great to get started with, and i continue folding his models to this day! sincerely, dani
i guess akira yoshizawa's books would be my fave, for the simplicity, sensitivity and realism of the models.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I only have kamiya's book, so I can't really say. I'm thinking about buying "serres de ficcion" and lang's "origami design secrets". Since I want to start designing myself and I'm also very fond of Anibal Voyer's models.
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

if you can fold kamiya's work you should have no troubles with the books you are looking to buy. ODS is a must have! Nicholas terrys book(passion origami) is good for designing too (in my opinion) as he gives variations on his models to fold and challenges, i think it gives insight to the designing process and how to modify models.
if you go to Nicholas Terry's site he has papers there written by Lionel Albertino and i think Lang? and various others on designing. could be helpful for you in your quest to design.
also there is Creating Origami by J.C.Nolan where he talks a lot about his thoughts in the designing process. hope some of this helps.
i like serres de ficcion also but i cant read it so not sure if there is anything about designing in that book, does anyone else know?
sincerely, dani
shawn

Post by shawn »

Friet, I would definately suggest getting Langs Origami Design secrets. It is a great book. It does so much more than just show the steps to making his models. And since I'm replying here I would have to say that Orgami Insects and their Kin is one of my faves.

~Shawn
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

ODS is by far my favorite origami book but I have not and will never finish all the models on it. I've readed twice though.

"Seres de ficcion" is also a good book and the one I've folded more models from (still the last 3 models to finish). About the comment on creation on this book, yes there is a long section called "Introduction to Creation" by Anibal Voyer. It starts on page 169 and goes to page 185 (the end of the book).

Another favorite of mine (maybe because it was my first) and that I folded almost all of it is "Origami From Angelfish to Zen" by Peter Engel
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I can't say I've got a clear favourite, but Kasahara's Origami Omnibus ranks pretty high on my list. Not so much the complexity and technical aspects of the models in there, but rather for the sheer range and variety of ideas presented in the book. It serves as an excellent reminder of how narrowly focused one can be, if one folds only hypercomplex models or geometric modulars.

Yeah, I've got a lot of books from which I'll never get around to folding from as well. :)
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I've folded all of the models in Montroll's North American Animals, Chinese Zodiac etc, African Animals, and Origami Sculptures.

I usually just fold all of the models that I actually want to fold out of a book... extending to that I add Origami to Astonish and Amuse, the Complete Book of Origami, Origami in Action, every Montroll book except for his polyhedra books, Fuse's Spirals I and II, and half a dozen of her books on boxes.

I had been working on folding every model from Albertino's bug book, but surprisingly enough I got tired of folding bugs! :lol: That was a year and a half ago, I'm ready to go and finish it now. :)
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I forgot to answer the question! My favorite book is Origami Sculpture by Montroll. I find all the folds in there neat and satisfying. :)
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

For me, I am torn between the works of kamiya satoshi and passion origami. However, I am leaning towards works of kamiya satoshi because i have done almost all of the models from it .
Julie

Post by Julie »

My favorite one is "Origami Jiten" ( encyclopedia of origami )by Makoto Yamaguchi. It is my first origami book. I did not even know that there were other origami models than the traditionals ( boat, plane, fortune teller, masu, crane, flapping, sanbo, fuusen, jumping frog,kabuto, fish, windmills, lilly, and the traditional frog that whe can blow,+3-4 others) before i went Japan in 1994 ! :oops: Except for 3-4 models I learned from my parents when I was young, I learned and memorised the japanese traditionnals models by japanese workers when they came home for buissness with my father. I'm very thankful to them.
My children and I folded all the models of the book a couple of times in it. I also love "Origami Design Secrets" by Mr.Lang that is very good, or Kawasaki's dream world or flowers and animals... But my first one is still my favorite one. Before I got it I did not even thought that there were origami books... :oops:
Didn't I tell you that I come from a very little village in the middle of nowhere?
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

instead of chewing my useless new topic on favourite o-books - thanks for locking it, chris! - i'm going to give a reply to this old one: my favourite book among my little collection is actually diaz' origami for interpreters. i'm far away from getting through all of its beautiful models but the first ones were a pleasure.
is there another book to recommend as a 'must have' for a friend of animal origami?
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

origami fantasy for me