ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Treemaker has a different purpose. In Treemaker, you give it a stick figure, and the program gives you the necessary creases to fold that stick figure. In Oripa, you give it the crease pattern, and it shows you the final folded form. Since drawing crease patters is so easy in Oripa, it seems natural to want to use it primarily for drawing crease patterns, although the folded form function is a check to see whether you've input all your creases correctly.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

I just realized that instead of using expensive CAD software to open the .dxf files from Oripa, it's possible to use the freely available Google SketchUp software. I was able to import an Oripa .dxf file into it, and then use Google SketchUp to export it as either a .jpg, .bmp, .tif, or .png. The only problem I have right now is that it's not able to recognize the difference between mountain and valley folds that Oripa specifies.
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

Got it working but the only thing I don't seem to get is the fact that if I push the fold button it doesn't give me a preview screen, just a box with the text "Folding simulation finished" and some statistics but not a graphical screen. Anybody an idea??

Also, when I download a premade pattern from the Oripa site and try to open it then it gives me an error message saying "Java.Lang.NullPointerExeption". What is this?? (might this have to do with the fact that they have been made on a Japanese version and I am using an English one?? just a thought.)
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Well, this is still version 0.31, so I guess there's still some rough edges in the program. Generally when I press the fold button, it thinks for a little bit, then displays the box with the statistics you described. It then displays the simulated folded object if you click the OK button on the box.

Sometimes it complains about something or another, and when I click OK, iy only shows the see through version with the layers, not the 3D version.

I downloaded various sample files, and got most of them to show me the folded form. I couldn't get one or two to work, though. It would just think for a while, then stop thinking and not do anything.

To open a sample file, you can't just click on it. You need to open up Oripa, then open it from inside there.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Thanx for the help, Mike, but I've given up - nothing seems to work. I'll just keep doing it without ORIPA.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Too bad it didn't work out for you, Quentin. I hope that someday in the future it will work out.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

same here as well, i am stilling trying to make it work :wink:
i have downloaded the java3d now and am downloading the other one :D
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

i have download both now, but where to start program?
when i finish downloading oripa, is it just a simple folder :o
mike352

Post by mike352 »

As I mentioned earlier, all of Oripa is the file oripa031.jar. When I double-click on it, Java opens it directly, but others are getting a folder. The problem seems to be that the program you normally use for unzipping files (say, WinZip or WinRAR) is trying to unzip oripa031.jar.

What you'll need to do is change the way Windows handles .jar type files. You can right-click on the file, and go to Open With ... to see what program it's currently using to open it, and change it to Java, or alternatively, you can use this method:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 902,00.asp
They both do the same thing.
OrigamiGianluca

Re: ORIPA

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

origamimasterjared wrote:ORIPA is awesome. That is all.
Really? Image

It says that this it is not foldable.

But it is not true, since it is the unfolded starting point of one of my model.

Is there anything that I've missed? :?:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Adam

Post by Adam »

I think you forgot to weld the two vertices in the red circle:

ImageImage

PS, I have never used this program, but having loose vertices is usually bad; in pretty much any program.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Also, the point in the center, near the top, with 12 creases going to it, doesn't follow Maekawa's Theorem, that the difference between the number of mountain creases and valley creases should be 2 - otherwise, you cannot fold it flat. Oripa needs to be able to fold the model flat - it can't do 3D origami, so all the flat foldability theorems need to be satisfied everywhere in the crease pattern:
http://kahuna.merrimack.edu/~thull/comb ... /flat.html
mike352

Post by mike352 »

It also looks like you forgot to join the uppermost-right point with the edge of the square.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

In the top-right, you have a crease going past the edge of the square. Delete that extra bit.

In the top middle you have an intersection with 8 valleys and 4 mountains. This violates Maekawa's M-V=±2 rule. Change the top part of this to mountain.

At the point just left of the center of the square those creases don't all meet. You have a crease hitting the grid instead of the crease intersection.

Also, chances are that you're missing creases up in the top two corners. I'm assuming that those corners are folded in, and then all those other folds are made. This won't affect ORIPA's ability to fold the pattern, but it does afffect what the collapsed pattern actually looks like.

Hope this helps!
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Thank you for the tips regarding the accurancy of the drawing.
Since the mouse snap on the grid intersection and in the other verticles I suppose that the program welds automatically the converging creases.

Regarding your suppose that it is not possible to fold it flat, I can ensure that is false.
As I've already said this is not a CP test, but I've drawn on ORIPA the base of my Unicorn, and belive me, it's work correctly. :wink:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!