Welcome Wagon???

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Sadarac

Welcome Wagon???

Post by Sadarac »

i think we should Pm new members. welcome them. maybe tell them recent happenings. Invite them to a discussion or something. IF I were a brnad new member and i got a pm it would make ME happy. so lets spread the love! :lol:
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

ya, i agree, but it would be alot of work, and some of them never use their accounts! :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

chesslo wrote:ya, i agree, but it would be alot of work, and some of them never use their accounts! :wink:
You can let the forum send a message automatically to a newly registered member. Many forums do this as a welcome message. That way you only have to alter the contents once every while, rather than actually typing each individual PM.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

OK! thats even better, i don't see why we shouldn't do it, now we got to wait for a moderater to read this! :D
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

What you are talking about, sounds like a newsletter more than a wellcome message :?

I think that the very first thing that a brand new forum member should do, would be to read every sticky and popular posts of each section. :wink:
So he would be quickly updated on rules and news Image
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

origami_8 wrote:Wow, that's the most useless request I ever read on this Forum. Congratulations!
This is how our dear Administrator greets new members 8)
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I completely disagree. I just have to count the private messages I wrote to members that have never been read. I still have one pm left in my outbox that I wrote on 21st not to mention the 5 other that I recently deleted, because they have never been read.
I'm pretty sure that most new members just don't recognize that they have a new PM.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Cruel Administrator, how dare she tell the truth :twisted:

I agree with Chris, sending private messages to new members is completely useless, because they usually do not read them. Every now and then I delete unread messages I wrote to members ages ago. It would just be a waste of webspace and the Forum is expensive enough for our dear host.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

I'm pretty sure that most new members just don't recognize that they have a new PM.
i agree, maybe you can have " you have one new message" on the main page cause if doesn't show if you don't click on it! :D
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

A Stickied "Welcome" thread in the general forum would be sufficient I think. The chances of a new member being a contributing member (and not a spam bot or lurker) is pretty slim.
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

explosion of replys?! hmm interesting views. It was just an idea though :)
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
unknownfolder

Post by unknownfolder »

A welcome thread would be nice. :D I have seen it on other forums and it works rather well. Recently, I have noticed new members posting threads saying hello. Why not create a simple thread for this purpose. I have probably already said this but cannot remember the reason it was cast aside.

Just a suggestion. :D
Whenever I do complex Origami I get this sinking feeling.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

its not a bad one really, i think this should be ok! :o
Adam

Post by Adam »

origami_8 wrote:Wow, that's the most useless request I ever read on this Forum. Congratulations!
One of the best quotes ever. It also happens to come from one of the greatest topics in the history of mankind.

As a serious note, I don't think PM's would work too well. I always get a pop-up window when I receive a new PM, but some people may think it's one of those random spam pop-ups and may click it away instantly without even looking at it. Perhaps a welcome topic would be nice, because then members get the chance to introduce themselves and they don't have to create a random topic in one of the sections.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

OrigamiGianluca wrote: I think that the very first thing that a brand new forum member should do, would be to read every sticky and popular posts of each section. Wink
as far as reading every sticky note... i think once a new member becomes a "contributing member" they will end up reading every message that exists on this board more than once...oh..maybe im the only one with no life? :lol: