ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Ok. Thanks, Kafar! :)
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

There is a "guide" of sorts built into the program. Look at the very bottom of the screen. For example for the bisector. When you click on the bisector icon, at the bottom it says "Specify 3 points and a segment." For all of the tools there is an explanation of how to use it at the bottom.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Oh! That is also very helpful. :)
Thanks, Mike!
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hi,

Just joined to post on this thread. I made a little script that takes ORIPA files and outputs images, so you don't need CAD software to view/export CP's. It gives you a page to view the CP, download the original file, and the code to post a thumbnail that links to the viewer page. See here:

http://fold.oclock.am/oripaview

You can also view a few crease patterns I've made from that page to test it out.

I am working slowly on a version of it that will do the same thing with DXF files, but the DXF format is more complicated than the .opx format.

Hope that helps someone!

-Ray
http://www.flickr.com/miura-ori/
mike352

Post by mike352 »

That is really great!

I've found some problems though - I'm unable to generate a PNG from any of my uploaded files. It appears to upload the file, but then it doesn't do anything.

Also, at least one of your sample files doesn't work because of memory limits (try out the ellipse.opx file and see the error message it generates).

I'm excited to have this up and working soon. Do you think you'll release a stand-alone version that we could download?

Mike
Ray

Post by Ray »

Wow bug reports, cool! Thanks a lot for your interest.

The memory thing is definitely an issue, but I don't think I can fix it without moving hosts. I have plans to make a database of uploaded ORIPA files, so I may as well implement that while I fix the file upload problem.

I'm not sure how I would release a standalone of this since it's PHP, a web development language... if you want, you can download the source here, and run it on your computer through a local webserver (if you have a Mac, it's built in): http://svn.rayschamp.com/origami/web/html/oripaview/ . On a related note, http://svn.rayschamp.com/origami/ is a repository of 100s of crease patterns I've made with ORIPA (look in to_be_filed and generalized_degrees... there is some stuff I've downloaded too). They all have URLs so you can look at them with the viewer -- that's why I made it! With some of them, you'll notice the program prints out meta-information about the CP. You can do this with your own ORIPA files (once I fix the upload problem) by filling in the information in the "File Info" panel in ORIPA.

Jun Mitani said he is going to release the ORIPA source in the near future, so once that happens, maybe I could build it into ORIPA itself. He may do this himself if you ask nicely -- I've become friends with him through feature requests ; )

If you have any other feature requests for this viewer thing, that would be so cool. Bug reports and feature requests are firsts for me.
Mars

Post by Mars »

If only he would make it for Windows 2000... :(
Keep on trying, it will work.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hi,

I think I've fixed both of the issues you mentioned. Thanks for getting me to do that! I changed the way the thing reads files, which helped with the memory issue. It can see the most complex CP I've posted, so I think it should be sufficient for anything. Even ORIPA has problems with that one...

The problem with uploading files was a single hyphen....
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Yay!

I'm so happy you got that working :D

Thank you for access to the source code! I don't know PHP, but I have friends who do.

I have another request ... would it be possible to have your OripaView name the PNG file with the same file name as the uploaded file instead of 'oripaview.png'? Then when I right-click the image to save it, I won't need to keep renaming it. (Hopefully it's an easy fix?)

And welcome to the forum! :D
Ray

Post by Ray »

Good idea! I put this in, and reworked some of the code so it's a bit more logical. This code has no comments whatsoever, so it might be hard to find your way around. I'll work on explaining all the parts if people are going to be looking at it... Let me know if you see anything weird because I might have broken something while I was working on the filename thing.

There is a weird bug/inconsistency in firefox with generated images that have custom filenames. Dragging and dropping will download the image as ".png", but if you right-click and use "Download File as..." it will have the right filename there. In any other browser it works like you'd expect.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Alright, I finally went and got ORIPA to draw my first CP (for the Christmas book) on my computer. Although I've successfully finished the CP, I have two problems :

1. The program won't let me open anything I've done! I saved my CP and when I try to reopen it, it doesn't work, even under «.opx» or «.dxf». I have also tried to open a second CP, but to no avail.
2. Okay, so I don't get to reopen my work. I just need a picture of it, right? Well, I tried to view it with Ray's ORIPA viewer, but nothing shows up, even if I use Firefox or Internet Explorer.

I'd be really thankful if someone could help me with any of my two problems.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hi Sunburst,

Could you send me the files you're having problems with? ray dot schamp at gmail dot com. [Edit] I fixed the file upload problem (again).

I have been doing stuff with my server recently which may have introduced some bugs.

By the way, everyone, Jun has updated ORIPA to v.0.33 and included a few features/bug fixes I've wanted for a while:

Alter Line type can now use a selection, so you don't have to go line by line. Also, you can specify from which line type to which line type you want to change, so you can turn all lines to M/V/Aux/Cut or delete them. You can also flip all M/V lines in a selection, which is great for performing a reverse fold.

He updated the window so the left edge doesn't get cut off (on my Mac, at least).

You can see the box selection when you drag in directions other than top left -> bottom right.

He fixed the array copy operation so vertices are formed on pre-existing lines that are copied on top of.

-Ray
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Hi Sunburst,
You can't open files directly by double-clicking on them. You need to open up ORIPA and use the Open command from the File menu. Is that what you were trying to do and still having problems?
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Mike352, I tried that as well, but it still doesnt' work. There's this message that pops up whenever I try do do that : «java.lang.NullPointerException»
That's the only clue I got.
SK-37

oripa

Post by SK-37 »

hi guys, i am having trouble with the oripa program,
i have downloaded the latest version of oripa, java 3d api and java.
i have extracted the files and dont know what to do next, as java, java 3d api and oripa are in separate folders.

every file contained in the folders ends with ".class" and it lets me open it but nothing happens.

i dont know what to do with the java programs as i have just downloaded and extracted the folders but have left them as i dont know if i need to open the java folders first.

please help!
cheers SK-37
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/