ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

There's a tool for drawing a line of any length and angle. It's a little awkward to learn how it works. Also, the one thing with ORIPA is that you always must have at least one node (though usually two or three) to work from.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I was experimenting a little today, and I managed to solve my problem-I am starting to see how things work, but it is a little awkward-it involves a little bit of thinking and a lot of deleting lines, but it is accurate, and that is what I like.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

For all the people having trouble with Oripa not working I might know what the cause of the problem is (since I have tried oripa in several computers and under several OS's) but what I don't know is the solution to the problem.

If when you try to run it you get an error message somehting like "exception in thread java.lang.Noclass...." it is because you have a computer with setting for a language other than English. The word lang on the error message refers to "language". I was able to solve the problem by going to control panel, Regional and language settings and then choosing as many options related to English language that were available (formats, dates, currency, everything).
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Brimstone:
YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!
Image Image Image Image Image Image

I was thinking that the problems were related to the Os rather than to ORIPA, since until version 015 it worked perfectly. Image
But I wouldn't ever thought about the language.

By the way, now it is clear also why oripa015 was the last completely working version.
It was the last in japanese.

Compliments again for your intuition! :wink:

I can also add that, on windows you can change the OS language whitout using that language.

I mean taht in Control Panel>Region you can choose English as the OS language, but leave your own one for the rest (I have laft Italian).
In this way, ORIPA will works perfectly, but all the OS menus will keep your regional language.

And now, let the CP go!
:)
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks a million, Brimstone! Your findings helped seem to have helped me solve my problem as well. Now I can finally draw CP's properly. =D>
Visionary

Post by Visionary »

Brimstone wrote:If when you try to run it you get an error message somehting like "exception in thread java.lang.Noclass...." it is because you have a computer with setting for a language other than English. The word lang on the error message refers to "language".
Just so that you can learn something from your discovery as well: the word 'lang' in java.lang does not necessarily mean it has anything to do with 'language'. In the programming language Java this java.lang refers to a library of many many useful things where system environments (language settings) are just one among many.

So yes, language settings might be the problem, but it isn't written in that error message you quoted. Guess you deserve even more cheers now for finding the/a cause ;)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

To be honest I did not find this out, Carlos Furuti told me this (the thing about the English configuration, I think the "lang" thing I made it up). Now if only I could make my Oripa work under Windows Vista it would be great.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I run Vista and it is working for me-I explained what I did in a post on the previous page:

Save the file with IE (I had to manually rename it as a .jar file, since IE wanted to save it as a .zip).

Change the directory in Command Prompt to where the .jar file was saved, which for me was on my desktop (chdir desktop)

And then...

"C:Program FilesJavajre1.6.0_04binjava" -jar oripa033.jar

the jre1.6.0_04 and oripa033.jar will need to be changed as they are updated to different versions.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I reinstalled again everything and checked the English configuration but i still get the ...lang... error message. :(
OrigamiGianluca

I have just found a grid limitation in ORIPA (033)

You can divide the sheet only until 128x128.
I would need 512 :(

Hoping for an improvement in future versions :wink:

Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

*chokes on cereal 512?! Why would you do that to yourself :lol: At any rate, other drawing programs (such as Inkscape) should be able to handle that just fine, but Oripa still may be able to do it, it would just take a little longer. You can use the perpendicular bisector function to get more 'grid lines'. This would work, especially if you don't need every grid line (I hope for your sake you don't :lol: ).
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Hmm, I don't think Oripa can handle a CP of 512... I've used 72nds and made a moderately complex CP and I started to get lag problems, and random crashes that corrupt your files became more frequent. I pretty much had to make duplicates every time after saving. Even if an update allows for 512x512, I'm going to doubt that you'll be able to draw as much as you want before you run into the same problems. It becomes too much for the program to calculate I think :( .
OrigamiGianluca

Obviously I don't need a 512 x 512 grid for all the CP, but only in some points :wink:
Jonnycakes, I have already try to solve my problem in that way, but at maximum grid (128) bisector (or other tools) does not create new vertexes.
I mean I can draw a new line, but this new intersection can't be used to start a new line (no vertex=no snap=no starting point)

Actually I had to avoid to draw all the details on my CP :(

Just to make you to understand I'm not completely crazy :wink: , I'm drawing the CP of my Angelfish and since I've tested that scales are possible to be completely drawn, I would have like to add them in one half of the CP.

Ok, I'm crazy :P

Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Haha, that does not make you crazy-everything could use more scales :lol: Try out Inkscape-it is free and pretty easy to use, and will solve all of your gridding needs. It is a lot easier in some respects to get a CP drawn than in Oripa.
OrigamiGianluca

I already use inkscape (from about a couple of years).
I like it very much, because it is very similar to the first versions of coreldraw (my first drawing soft). So it has been more than "user friendly" for me. :wink: and I've done many jobs with it.
But I've never been able to find out the reason of its instability. Quite often indeed it closes without any reason, making me loose all the work done.
So I use it as less as I can.