Next level?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Sagen

Next level?

Post by Sagen »

I have been folding origami off and on since the age of five. Seventeen years later, I want to take a slightly different direction than simply re-folding instructions that are presented to me and have been perfected in the past...

I want to invent my own models.

I understand that this is something that can't be taken lightly- it has to be complicated, but I just need a push in the right direction.
Does anyone have advice on where to start?
A technique to make my own models, an online beginner's guide, anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
I really need to search, read, *then* post, but here's what I've found so far:
I need to play around with models. I understand this to mean exploring folds, combinations, etc. I need to work on a model with patience in improving it, and I need to have much more practice- I will never have enough.

Any other suggestions/tips?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, try folding from Crease Patterns and try to understand them (eg what part of the pattern makes what). That helps you to learn a lot about the underlying structures of Origami. Also unfold models you don't have a Crease Pattern of to see how they are done.

And Search this Forum, there are plenty of topics like this.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

What you have uncovered and what Anna has said are excellent suggestions. Search for information about techniques such as box-pleating, circle-packing, and polygon-packing. Take note in crease patterns of common structures and learn how they connect to each other, what the results are, and how you can use them further.

A great book to start with is Origami Design Secrets (ODS) by Robert Lang. It explains many of these techniques in detail and is a great jumping-off point for designing. Since you have so much experience already, you should not have too many problems picking it up.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

You might try this web site:

http://www.origamiaustria.at/cp.php?lang=2 for CP FAQs and tutorials .... ;-)

A few more articles: http://www.origami-resource-center.com/ ... igami.html

More articles: http://www.fishgoth.com/origami/essays.html

Lang's Origami Design Secrets is the Bible of design
Maekawa's Genuine Origami has some good info.

- Hank Simon
OrigamiGianluca

Re: Next level?

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Sagen wrote: I need to play around with models. I understand this to mean exploring folds, combinations, etc. I need to work on a model with patience in improving it, and I need to have much more practice- I will never have enough.
Doing this will make you quite busy for a lot :wink:
After that, follow the suggestion you have already received here.

By the way, we have had quite the same origami career :)
I've started folding at 8, and until 16 I've folded only other author models. Then I've been under your same pulse to make somthing completely mine.

Trying to make out something new I found that mixing folding techniques could often open the way for new models.

So, my two cents are:
- don't be bound by a single folding technique
- fold what you know best (for me, for example it has meant animals)
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Sagen

Post by Sagen »

Simply amazing, I could not thank you all more.
I can't wait to see how it all works

I may end up buying that book too.